Question on O.G.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DudeBrew

Reaction score
I always use BeerCalculus.com to find out what the status of my beer will turn out to be. If you all haven't used it yet its helpful to find out what your bitterness will be and a few other things. Now one thing it also does and tell you what your O.G. should be and mine should be between 1.049-1.058 and it ended up being 1.064. Will I end up with a high F.G. then? or can I look for the same F.G. as the calculus says it should be at 1.012-1.015? Oh I thought I'd also mention this was an all grain brew A.P.A. and the mash temp was at 152 for an hour before sparging. :tank:

If your OG came up higher than expected, you may or may not finish at the posted FG. It will depend on the yeast you are using, but in general, I might expect the recipe to finish at a slightly higher FG, but it's also possible that it will finish within the posted range. Just be sure to give it plenty of time to ferment... 10 days or so in the primary and then a couple weeks in a secondary will probably give you a nice healthy fermentation.

The final gravity of the brew depends mostly on the attenuation of the yeast, but also the temp of your mash. What kind of yeast did you use?

If your efficiency % was higher than in the software you used assume, that could explain the higher OG. But it still should ferment fully (depending on the yeast strain) and give you just a little residual sweetness, since you mashed at 152. It really would depend on the attenuation of the yeast you used and ingredients.

Software is great (I use Beersmith) but it can only calculate numbers, not account for less fermentable ingredients, or more attenuative yeast strains. That part you have to do by hand, or at least with an educated guess at the %.

Yea were looking for a F.G. of 1.016 but my question was will my beer ferment to that final gravity or should I expect it to fall short?

Oh..sorry it's 9lbs American 2 Row, 1/2lbs Cara-pils, 1/3 lbs American Crystal 20L, 1/3 lbs Belgian Special B, 1/3 lbs Breiss, 1oz of Glacier hops for 60min, 1oz of Northern Brewers for 30min, and 1oz Cascade for 15min with 1 tbsp of Irish Moss

Back