Question on hydrometer reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasmeyer

Reaction score
I brewed up a batch of Amarillo Pale Ale yesterday, 8.4 lbs liquid DME, 1 lb. Crystal 10L, 1 lb Melanidin, 4 oz Amarillo hops, and Wyeast 1056. after adding the wort and water to the primary I covered it and shook it for 45 seconds to aerate it, then took my hydrometer reading which was 1.070. The recipie said the SG should be 1.064. Could the aereated wort have caused the hydrometer to "float" higher due to the aeration?

I also noticed that I am just below the 5 gallon mark on my bucket, if my wort isn't diluted out to 5 gallons would this cause a higher reading? Is it safe to add some boiled (and cooled) water to my wort a day or two after fermentation has started or should I not worry about being just under 5 gallons?

I'm not sure but I don't think the aeration would cause the hydrometer to float higher. I would think the exact opposite actually because air is obviously lighter than the hydro. And yes, <5G is likely the reason for your high gravity. Less water but the same amount of ingredients means more dense wort.

Latest posts

Back