Question on dry hopping my hard cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoRoom4Error

Reaction score
I have a one gallon batched of cider with an OG 1.072 that has just fermented out to 0.990. I had previously purchased a 1 lb bag of cascade hops as I am hoping to find the right balance of hop-kick for a cider. Last night I think I might have made a newb mistake. I racked off to the secondary and dropped 8 hop pellets into the container. Did I just ruin this? It only occurred to me after the fact that I should have used / purchased a grain bag. Doh!

Is this 1 gallon a write off or should I attempt to rack off (again) and attempt to leave as much of the hops behind as possible. The top of my cider looks like a mossy / green mess.

It will drop off and settle. You don't NEED to put it in bags, and if you did some would always make it through. Just cold crash it in the fridge to see if you can get it all to drop to the bottom before you bottle it

I gotta ask though, how did you get it that high? You must have added quite a bit of sugar. I think juice on its own only ferments out to about 3-4%

I believe 2 cups of brown sugar. Not sure as I'm at the office but I have it all written down at home.

Latest posts

Back