question on apple wie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dejay2

Reaction score
I recently made a 2 gal batch of Red Delious apple wine. Racked it for the first time last weekend. I was was a little shy on the sugar to start with, about 1.080 or so. In the racking process I did sample 2oz or so, sediment and all, and found it to be pretty strong, which it would be, being a new batch. I thought I might try sweetening it up with honey or could I possibly get a honey apple flavor out of this. Anyone haveing any comments, please feel free to jump in.

You will have to kill the yeast or use a non-fermentable sugar to back sweeten. If you are bottling and you want it sparkling you can't use honey and you can't kill the yeast. The yeast will consume your honey and any priming sugar you use. If you want it still then you could kill the yeast and use the honey.

:tank:

Ok, still a couple questions. I'm in my secondary, SG at.995. There's little to no activity, but still not clear, which I know is stiil a little yeast alive and kicking. So, say I use Splenda to back sweeten, what would you suggest for SG? As far as sparkling I really don't care. This was a trial run and will be use for personal use. So, if I use honey will I get a honey apple flavor, which I think would be interesting.

Ok, so I think I responded to quick on that. Splenda would be to taste after bottling. So I'm still wondering about the honey or could I possibly use brown sugar.

Honey is HIGHLY fermentable. You are unlikely to get any flavor out of it unless you kill the yeast first. Brown sugar as well...If you have already bottled then you will have to use splenda or the like, You could even use a little apple juice in this case. The important thing in batch back-sweetening is killing the yeast first if you plan on using a fermentable.

:tank:

Thanks for the info Devaspawn. I think I'm going to let it ride for a while. I'm going to rack again in a couple week. I'll give it a couple months and see how goes from there. Thanks again for your input.

Back