Question for Boilermaker owners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrispykid

Reaction score
I potentially have the opportunity to get a great deal on a 15 gallong Blichman Boilermaker that is in great shape, but the only reason for me to purchase a new pot would be in preparation to step up to 10 gallon batches at some point. I looked on the Blichmann site and they recommend batch size of 8 gallons final volume for the 15 gallon pot. Is this overly conservative? Can I do 10 gallon batches in this pot or will I be constantly worried about a boilover?

Use foam control, and you can boil 13+ gallons in your 15-gallon pot. I always fill my undersized kettle to within an inch of the rim, and haven't had boilover problems with Fermcap-S.

In my opinion, I think you only need a couple gallons clearance in order to avoid boil overs. I think the "max boil volume" that only fills half the pot is a little absurd.

I have a 15 gallon boilermaker and I do 12 gallon batches all the time. My boils start at 13+ gallons and I never use fermcap. Just keep an eye on the burner until you get past the initial hot break and you'll be fine.

+1 on the FermCap S and 10 gallon batches with the 15g Boilermaker.

My volume is around 13 gallons when it starts boiling. I pondered the same question and considered getting a 20gal Boilermaker on my next purchase...but I think 15g is okay.

Back