Question about yeast re-hydration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooZer

Reaction score
Can it be done too soon. Ive made two batches now with dry yeast and re-hydrated about 4 hours before pitching.

My fermentation has only taken about 24 hours both times. It seems odd that it goes so fast.

Any ideas?

I've heard from two sources, one a brewing book, can't remember the other, that you are supposed to rehydrate 15 minutes before pitching... any time longer than 30 minutes is bad. I don't know how true this is, just what I heard and I what I do.

FWIW, when I first started brewing all I used was dry yeast. I made many batches rehydrating the dry yeast and just as many directly sprinkling the dry yeast onto the wort. I never noticed any difference in the finished product. Neither lag time, attenuation or taste were any different. I'm not saying that my results are proof positive, but it has just been my observation that it doesn't appear to make any difference. Having said that, I now use large starters made from liquid yeast, exclusively.

Guess it depends on the yeast company. Danstar (Nottingham/Windsor) says:

"We recommend that the rehydrated yeast be added to the wort within 30 minutes. We have built into each cell a large amount of glycogen and trehalose that give the yeast a burst of energy to kick off the growth cycle when it is in the wort. It is quickly used up if the yeast is rehydrated for more than 30 minutes. There is no damage done here if it is not immediately add to the wort. You just do not get the added benefit of that sudden burst of energy. "

With dried yeast the difference between the best case and the worst (reasonable) case is less than a factor of two.

sheephrdr said:
broozer what temp are you fermenting at?

first batch a little high, started at 77 and dropped to 70.

This last batch i started at 70 and it stayed there throughout.

How come?

Back