Question about wyeast 1007

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEUKRAINIAN

Reaction score
All I brewed a new recipe with wyeast 1007. Here are the details..

The fermentation was very aggressive, this lasted about 3 days. The OG and the FG are in the pictures below. I keg the beer at 6 days. And I just tried it today. To me it just doesn't have the punch that 2565 or 3068 has.

Any thoughts?

image-246218608.jpg

image-2812730204.jpg

image-1329752489.jpg

3068 is the classic hefeweizen yeast known for it's banana and clove - it is a VERY pronounced yeast. Not a subtle yeast at all.

2565 and 1007 are much more similar to each other, and both are known to be fairly subtle. I guess I would expect a "crisper" beer from 2565, and a more ale-neutral beer from 1007.

But every palate is different and how you interpret them is very personal. In any case, now that you've tasted all three you should have a better idea of why to use them and which to utilize in future batches.

Well, my first thought is that 2565 and 3068 produce completely different styles. I don't know why you would be comparing 1007 with them.

Of those three, I've only used the 2565, so I can't say anything definitive about the other two. But I've gotta assume the 1007 is intended to be a relatively clean fermenting German yeast. I would expect very subtle German character from it, but not much 'punch.'

So, I guess, your assessment is probably correct, but your expectations might have been off the mark.

stpug said:
3068 is the classic hefeweizen yeast known for it's banana and clove - it is a VERY pronounced yeast. Not a subtle yeast at all. 2565 and 1007 are much more similar to each other, and both are known to be fairly subtle. I guess I would expect a "crisper" beer from 2565, and a more ale-neutral beer from 1007. But every palate is different and how you interpret them is very personal. In any case, now that you've tasted all three you should have a better idea of why to use them and which to utilize in future batches.

My assessment of 1007 is like drinking pabst almost. It is very easy to drink. What I'm concerned about is the fact that it finished stage 2 of fermentation too fast and died out. I'm not quite use to yeast finishing so fast.

It looks like OG was 1.040 and FG was 1.012, which is about 70% apparent attenuation. That strain, according to Wyeast, should be somewhere between 73-77% AA. Without knowing the recipe, I guess I would agree that it's a little low on the attenuation; perhaps it's a strain that's slow to finish and it just needs a little more time. I don't know exactly what you mean by "stage 2 of fermentation" though. So far, I've always left my beers in a primary fermenter until FG has been reached. It would only take a point or two for you to be in the right range (1.011-1.010).

So, what exactly was the recipe? Were you trying to brew a hefeweizen? If so, then the 1007 was obviously not the right choice.

So, what exactly was the recipe? Were you trying to brew a hefeweizen? If so, then the 1007 was obviously not the right choice.

the 1007 was an alternative for the 2565 that was not in stock at LHBS. he suggested this was and i went with it. aside from Wyeast's description, what can i expect from this yeast after carbonation?

THEUKRAINIAN said:
the 1007 was an alternative for the 2565 that was not in stock at LHBS. he suggested this was and i went with it. aside from Wyeast's description, what can i expect from this yeast after carbonation?

A great clean German style beer!

It's a neutral ale yeast. About as neutral as they come. I think it blunts the hops a bit. I made a 50 IBU alt that tasted more like a 30 IBU beer. If you want to make a hoppy beer with this yeast, up the bittering by about 15%. It will seem excessive, but it will be okay. I also lagered it for a few weeks too which may contribute to it.

I like this yeast. It makes nice, malt and grain oriented beers. I have used it for american wheats, cream ale, and altbier. It does not seem to attenuate as much as the specs from wyeast would have you believe. I got 79% apparent attenuation with a 150F mash and about 5% simple sugar. I would estimate 74% attenuation is more realistic for real word with an all malt grist.

Back