question about water used for yeast harvesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oceanbear1

Reaction score
Ok so I am probably over thinking this, but the area I recently moved to uses chloramines in the water, so to make sure my water doesn't have these, and because I wanted to control the salt levels, I used distilled/RO water for my batch.

so for the water I plan on using for harvesting the yeast, can I use the tap water with chloramines, or should I buy more distilled water and add salts to it.

Thanks in advance

Dont use any water

Harvest yeast the easy way.

Rack beer
attachment.php

Leave trub undisturbed
attachment.php

Swish it up and pour this slurry of trub and beer into sanitized vessels. It settles out over time like in the picture.
attachment.php

Refrigerate and use as needed.

attachment.php

On the chloramines. RO water has none as you rightly state. If you want to use your tap water they are easily elimitated at a cost of about $0.01 a batch with these. One tablet treats 20 gallons of typical chloraminated/chlorinated water. The reaction is instantaneous.

Campden Tablets (Sodium or Potassium Metabisulphite)
CT-100.jpg

I use boiled tap water and never worried about the salts. I don't think my water has chloramines, or if boiling drives them off if I do, but I have never had any issue with harvesting yeast or with freezing it in a glycerine and water solution.

For my brewing water, I add 0.5 grains (not grams) of K-Meta per gallon of water to de-chlorinate.

Latest posts

Back