Question about using pineapple into a NEIPA...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garage12brewing

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would like to brew a pretty standard NEIPA recipe using some Citra, Galaxy and Mosaic I have in my freezer. To be different than my usual NEIPA I would like to use some pineapple puree into the fermenter once the fermentation will be over.

I plan to use about 7,5 pounds of Dole canned pineapple puree into my 5 gallons batch. ( which might contain some sugar )

Once the beer have been in contact with the pineapple for about 10 days... can I bottle the beer as usual using my priming sugar or the yeast will be dead because of the contact with the pineapple... ? If this beer was intended to go in a keg that wouldnt be a problem but I want to bottle it...

I have some CBC-1 priming/cask yeast that I could use...

Thanks for sharing your experience !

You can bottle like normal. Just make sure fermentation is done because the sugar from the fruit will kick up fermentation again.

I had to Google this notion that pineapple kills yeast due to its high acidity/low pH. Haven't found that notion substantiated.

What I did find is the "bromelain" enzyme thing. Impressive! I would definitely want to use pasteurized fruit - whether bought that way (canned) or made that way at home "on the range" - because it's a body/head/everything killer :)

Cheers!

I had to Google this notion that pineapple kills yeast due to its high acidity/low pH. Haven't found that notion substantiated.

What I did find is the "bromelain" enzyme thing. Impressive! I would definitely want to use pasteurized fruit - whether bought that way (canned) or made that way at home "on the range" - because it's a body/head/everything killer :)

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply. So this mean that I will need to pasteurie the canned fruit too ?

Cheers!

Is that the enzyme that turns ham to mush? My son showed me a video....kinda creepy.

That could have been either bromelain or papain (the latter from papaya) as they're both often found in "meat tenderizers" :)

Cheers!

We actually use a product made from pineapple to debride burns chemically. It's pretty destructive stuff.
Very painful process they need to be asleep or numbed up in the area it's applied to.
Intellectually elegant but practically quite challenging.

Might consider some kind of pineapple flavouring as the safest option.

Pineapple is Certainly a great way to tenderise cheap meat cuts.

Meh. There are all kinds of ingredients that need some attention for best results, pineapple is no different - though perhaps with more dramatic effects should one not follow the popular guidance :D

And to that end it is clear it can be completely tamed - and conveniently with the simple application of the pasteurization heat vs time curve. Bromelain denatures at 60°C/140°F which is a useful point on said curve as it isn't so warm as to flash off more delicate characters. So, buy canned and the work is already done, or go with fresh fruit treated to 140°F for 15 minutes on the stove top, which should take care of both common bugs and the enzyme...

Cheers!

Y'all are correct. Pineapples are very acidic 3-4 pH range. If you finished beer is around the 4.5-4.6 pH range then adding 7.5 pounds of pineapple puree will for sure lower the pH to the point where the beer will taste very acidic. If I were adding that much pineapple, I would watch my water additions closely. I would gently acidify my mash and sparge to have my beer finish at 4.8-5.0 pH range. I would then add enough pineapple to have my beer finish no lower than 4.4 pH.

On a side note. 7.5 pounds of pineapple in a 5 gallon batch is way, way to much IMO. 3 cups of juice only will carry the pineapple flavor into the beer. 6 cups of juice it will be a pineapple bomb.

That could have been either bromelain or papain (the latter from papaya) as they're both often found in "meat tenderizers" :)
Cheers!
That's right, we grow pineapple and my wife uses fresh pineapple juice in the marinade when we make spareribs on the grill, it also gives a very nice taste!

So...

I steeped a bag with 2 x 398ml Dole crushed Pineapple cans within 1 minute left in the boil and I kept the bag in for all the cooling process.

This picture was after my firts dry hop addition. I ( of course ) tasted this sample and I already have a pineapple taste into it...

After that... I added 2 x 398ml Dole crushed Pineapple cans in a steeping bag into the fermenter with my 2nd dry hop addition... will let this into the fermenter for about 4-5 days.

I noticed a few hours later that the fermentation was back into action.

It should be great ! If I am satisfied I will share the recipe... its mostly a NEIPA standard grainbill using Citra, BRU-1 and Citra Cryo as my last dry hop addition.

Should be a great beer !

PINEAPPLE.jpg

So... I bottled my Pineapple NEIPA last night. After my cold crash the beer seems to be quite clear for a NEIPA... I dont know if the fruit helped to clear it out but I am still quite happy with the result. After the addition of 2 cans of 398ml of crushed Dole pineapple ( in a mesh bag ) into the fermenter with 1oz of Cryo Citra I must say that the pineapple taste is there... I still dont know if its too much. I will review this in about 3 weeks after I taste the beer.

If I am satisfied with the finaltaste I will post the complete recipe.

Attachments

• citranana.jpg
    citranana.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 24
I'm trying something new this year with my pineapple wheat. I usually puree the pineapple and then add to the fermenter (48 ounces of puree) This year, I pureed and froze it. I then thawed it and collected 10 ounces of concentrate. I also add pineapple extract to the keg for the aroma (15 ml)

I'm trying something new this year with my pineapple wheat. I usually puree the pineapple and then add to the fermenter (48 ounces of puree) This year, I pureed and froze it. I then thawed it and collected 10 ounces of concentrate. I also add pineapple extract to the keg for the aroma (15 ml)

so many ways to use fruits or any ingredients when brewing... ! Thanks for sharing.

just an FYI, i made a gallon of pineapple wine with a giant can of pineapple juice and a few cans of pineapple pureed. (what i had in my pantry about to hit it's use by date.
i added a little yeast nutrient then used cheap wine yeast.
it fermented just fine.

Was it any good?

Its still bottle conditioning. I bottled this batch. The glass on the picture was a left over from my bottling bucket haha !

Should be good for drinking in about 2 weeks... I will post the recipe if its up to my high standards lol

Was it any good?

Sooo... its was super good ! I will post the recipe in the Homebrew ALE recipe section this week. I already have some ideas to improve it but its a very good one...

You can taste the pineapple but you still get the Citra and the Bru-1 hops flavor/aroma and thats something I like...

I really like the color... it look like a pinapple juice... its not super hazy but I find it just fine...

citra-nana.jpg

I have a pinapple wheat on my list to try.
I'm using my home grown Hartwick hops which do have a subtle pineapple aroma and flavor that people pick up on without me saying anything.
going to use tropical IPA yeast also so i'll need to see if my ferm chamber can get up to the high 80's with just a 100W lightbulb or wait until June to do it in my kitchen.
I also picked up 3lbs of canned pineapple for the secondary along with pineapple extract for the keg if i feel it needs a smidge more pineapple.
I've found with fruits that easily ferment the flavor fades in the keg after a few weeks even when the keg is low 30's.

Back