Question about using harvested yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOISEpollution

Reaction score
I have a jar of Trappist yeast I harvested from my last batch. I used it originally for a pretty well-hopped IPA. My question is, is there any hop residue left over in this yeast? Would the hop flavors come through if I used it for a typical Belgian beer with less hops or should I only use this yeast for my Trappist IPAs?

It may do you good to perform a yeast rinse if you are worried about residual hops/trub...It would also double as a way of selecting out the best yeast from your previous batch - Let the beer/water mix settle so that the yeast are tightly packed at the bottom...pour off this liquid and mix in some sterile water and shake it well - After about 10-15 minutes you are going to have three distinct layers form in your container...Along the top you will have non-yeast materials and other non-desirables, while trub, hops and dead yeast will settle at the bottom...your quality yeast should still be in suspension between the two layers

Depending on the amount of yeast you have, you may have to do this several times...It wont completely clean the yeast, but it will do a good job if you feel the hop residue will be an issue

Hope this is useful info for you...if not, sorry for the rant - Cheers

Shouldn't be an issue, I reused the yeast from my last Belgian IPA twice with no noticeable hop carryover.

Back