Question about using dishwasher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportscrazed2

Reaction score
will using rinse aid hurt? i have a sani rinse option on my dishwasher but it won't start without using sani rinse. can i just use a normal run without the detergent to sanitize my bottles?

You DON'T want rinse aid on your bottles. That will kill head retention.

How hot does your wash cycle get? Mine doesn't get hot enough to sanitize, so I just use star-san and a bottle tree to sanitize. If your wash cycle gets hot enough to sanitize that should be fine.

I don't know what temperature it get's up too. i do have star san but i had a plan to bottle quickly today. fill bottling bucket up with star san solution and put above dishwasher, siphon into other bucket, take bottle out of dishwahser, fill and cap bottle. seems like the fastest method to me. but now the dishwasher won't start

I don't know what temperature it get's up too. i do have star san but i had a plan to bottle quickly today. fill bottling bucket up with star san solution and put above dishwasher, siphon into other bucket, take bottle out of dishwahser, fill and cap bottle. seems like the fastest method to me. but now the dishwasher won't start

But the dishwasher takes a long time anyway! It's faster to just sanitize the bottles and put them on the bottle tree (you can use the dishwasher rack as a bottle tree). Do you have a spray bottle? You can spray three sprays into a bottle and hang it upside down. Spray the racks, first, too. By the time you do all 53 bottles, you're ready to start bottling with the first ones.

yeah i know but i figured i have time anyway to take a shower and get everything else ready while i wait for dishwasher to finish. also accidently used 2 tbsp instead of teaspoons of star san will that have any negative effect?

one more question can i bottle while they are still hot or do i have to wait for them to cool down. i just want to get it over with to enjoy my saturday.

My dishwasher allows me to run only the sanitize cycle, which is somewhat quick. I bottle as soon as the cycle is over. Once I take the bottles out of the racks and set them on the door, they are cool enough to fill.

I don't know how to turn off the rinse-aid in my dishwasher, so I it is used. I've never had a problem with head retention at all. I get some decent lacing too.

You need to run the sani-rinse to ensure sanitation temps are reached.

From my dw:
Dishwasher_NSF_Statement.JPG

I don't use rinse aid, we just put vinegar in the rinse aid thing and I have never seen my spots on my glasses. Much cheaper and since me and my wife are neo hippies we fell better using a natural solution. I like using the dishwasher for the fact that you can get other things done at the same time it's going as well. Mine has a sanitation heat setting to and I would recommend ensuring is a available on yours as well.

I'm kind of a clean freak. If I have to buy new bottles, they go through the dishwasher including a sanitizing cycle. I still rinse them in the sink filled with sanitizer before bottling.

After I start drinking my beer, I always rinse after pouring to clean out any sediment. After I have a twelve pack, I run them through the dishwasher. Then I put them in a case and loosely put a layer of saran wrap over the top of the bottles in the box. Keeps any potential dust out and since it's not an air tight seal, if there's any remaining water in the bottles, it can evaporate. Then when needed, I just sanitize and bottle.

It's probably overkill, but I've never had a problem.

[Edit] I should say, after I have a twelve pack of empty bottles sitting on the counter or in the garage. Not after I drank 12 beers.

Back