Question about under sink charcoal filter cartridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hnycrk

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just recently installed Whirlpool Under sink water filter. It works great for taking out the chlorine taste in the water. The filter is rated for 6 months and is capable of filtering 2k gallons of water at 2 gals per minute. Since we use the cold side of the sink alot for cooking washing dishes etc... Were using the filter quite often. So I went to lowes and bought a new filter I could swap in when collecting brewing water and throw the old filter back in for everyday use. My question is when I pull out the filter for brewing how should I store it ? Can it dry out or does it need to be kept wet? All it is is a ten inch charcoal filter. Thanks for any help.

This is what I'm talking about. Can it dry out between uses or does it need to stay wet?

20131209_075718.jpg

I would not want to swap filters like that. I would simply use one filter and when it's "done", put in a new filter. Additionally, they generally get "charged" the first time you use a new filter and I think the recommendation would be to leave it alone until it's "done".

Why are you filtering your dish washing water? You should have a separate "filtered water" dispensing faucet.

Hope this helps.

+1
Also some of the cartridge directions recommend disposing of the first 1-2 gallons to flush out any loose carbon from the filer.

Not really filtering the dish wash water, just that since the filter hooks up to the cold water line it gets used pretty often for many things like rinsing dishes, filling dog bowl, filling water can to water flowers etc....So I was just wanting to have one filter allways decated to collecting brewing water. Guess ill just keep it as a spare till this one gets older.

Back