Alkaline water filter cartridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BitterSweetBrews

Tim Trabold
Reaction score
I have been brewing with RO water for years. I usually use the built in water tool in Beersmith and have been happy with it. My pH is almost always dead on and the beers are great.

I just ordered and replaced the filters in my 5 stage RO system. I bought a set from Membrane Solutions out of Auburn Washington.

With the set, I got the normal 5 stage filters: PPF. GAC, CTO, 50 gallon RO membrane and a T-33 finish filter. I ordered it as a 6 stage set for a couple bucks more with an ALK - Alkaline Water Filter Cartridge.

It contains: "Tormaline and Muyu stones to add negative ions, far infared and beneficial minerals to slightly raise alkalinty". I originally planned on just using this in my refridgerator ice makers and water dispensers RO lines as there is anecdotal stuff that says it is good for you.

I am wondering if there would be any advantage to running my brewing RO water through the ALK filter. If I were to use the RO ALK water for brewing, how would I account for it if it slightly raises pH? What would change? Would I need to get a Wards test?

I suspect that ALK cartridge is intended to be used after the finish filter to improve the palatability of the RO product. I'm not a fan of single digit TDS water for drinking directly - it's not all that pleasant imo - and there are plenty of commercial examples of RO water having minerals added back in before packaging.

I would not use it for brewing liquor as all it would do is perturb any water building calculator results by introducing unknowns. Much easier to start with zero/near-zero TDS and add what you actually want back in...

Cheers!

Back