Question about style...witbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoltanar

Reaction score
Hi there.
I was wondering if the Witbier style is a sour beer.
I've tried different sour bears, and they are really not my type.

I found this recipe that I'd like to try because it's supposed to be a white beer with coriander and orange type flavors, which I normaly like.

The recipe can be found here : http://www.atelier-biere-vin.com/pages/pdf/ABV Blanche.pdf

Also, I was going to replace the yeast with WLP380. Would that be a suitable replacement? Or maybe the WLP300?

Thanks for your advises, :mug:
Zolt

Witbier is not a sour beer style. The flavor of the suspended yeast could be described as "tangy," perhaps even "tart" at a bit of stretch, but unless you manage to get it infected, it's all just brewer's yeast, with no other organisms to sour it up.

Sorry, can't comment on the specific yeasts, haven't used either one.

Witbier is not a sour beer style. The flavor of the suspended yeast could be described as "tangy," perhaps even "tart" at a bit of stretch, but unless you manage to get it infected, it's all just brewer's yeast, with no other organisms to sour it up.

Sorry, can't comment on the specific yeasts, haven't used either one.

Hey! Thanks for the fast response!
Knowing it shouldn't be sour, I will now definitely try it.

No trouble about the yeast - I'll try one of them - whichever is available at my local store - and we'll see.

Zolt

A witbier is a traditional Belgian Wheat beer that is slightly tart from the wheat, yeast and spices (Coriander and Bitter Orange Peel). The yeast that is listed in the recipe and the two wlp yeasts you are asking about are best used for a german Hefeweizen. Hefeweizen beers usually have a clove or banana aroma/flavor from the yeast. Belgian Wits usually have a spice, tartness that comes from the yeast. I guess some people could describe the tartness as slightly sour.

A good example of a Belgian Wit that you should be able to find is Blanche de Chambly by Unibrouse

If you are trying to make a Belgian Wit I would recommend using WLP400 Belgian Wit Ale.

Thanks!
Makes total sense then. I'll give it a try with the WLP400.
Also, I do know the Blanche de Chambly, which I like a lot. I guess I got confused by the type of yeast that is on the recipe, which looked to be more of a witbier type...
Again, my lack of knowledge brings confusion :s
thanks for the advise.
Zolt

Back