question about starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkTrucker

Reaction score
I went and got my supplies today to brew on saturday. I only bought one vial of white labs yeast, but im splitting it between 10 gallons. Whats a good way to make the starter? I had thought about splitting it in between two pints of wort, but i wasnt sure if it would be enough yeast by saturday.

You aren't giving yourself much time. If you make a starter now it will only have time for about one doubling in #'s and "wake" them up. I'd make a quart of starter wort and pitch ASAP and then split it tomorrow, or even better let it keep growing and brew sunday...

GT

I had thought about doing that but I ran out of DME making the pint starter last night. I do have some dry yeast I can add to one and add the starter to the other. I dont have the time today to go to the homebrew shop. I think im going to start saving my yeast from now on.

Back