Question about spigot usage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IlliniSox4Life

Reaction score
I actually have two questions:

1) I have a spigot for my bottling bucket/fermenter that has 2 rubber gaskets on it. Am I supposed to put one gasket on the outside and one on the inside, or both of them on one side? Right now I have been doing one on each side. Which leads me to my second question...

2) Where can I buy replacement gaskets? I've been looking around, but I can't seem to find any food grade things that I can buy in relatively small orders. I've been using them as fermenters as well as bottling buckets so I don't need to use a siphon (Alton Brown failed to mention the problem with this...). My concern is obviously with the sanitation here. Between batches I've been taking it apart and cleaning all the spigot parts well and soaking in sanitizer for a long time, but I think I'm just asking for trouble.

I'm planning on buying better bottles/carboys when I can, but if I could buy a whole bunch of rubber gaskets for cheap and just toss them after batches, it would be easier on my wallet for the time being.

yes one outside and one inside.
yes and take everything apart and clean it everytimes. You dont need to soak everything. just dip it for the recomended amount of time depending on your sanitizer

Thanks for the responses.

I think morebeer is the one place I didn't look. It's not the same spigot that they sell, but I'm sure that its the right size.

I would only replace the gaskets if they are stretched out and distorted, or don't seal well for whatever reason. They aren't hard to sanitize.

As you've found out, using buckets with spigots works quite well and isn't the sanitation nightmare some people paint it to be. I did dozens of batches that way before switching to Better Bottle primaries, and never had any infections.

Back