question about secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg75

Reaction score
I racked a batch of Nut Brown Ale from my primary to a secondary glass carboy Thursday night. Well, last night I looked closely at the bottom of the carboy, and I couldn't believe how much sediment was down there. It was close to an inch thick.

I was under the impression that there wouldn't be much sediment present during secondary fermentation. I thought the whole point of racking was to remove the beer from spent yeast in the primary. I wonder if maybe I siphoned a bunch of sludge into the carboy during racking? I tried to keep away from the bottom 1/2" of the bucket, and there was a lot of sludge left over, so I thought I did that properly.

Then again, maybe this is perfectly normal? I'm just surprised that there's so much present, because the airlock activity is really low, so I can't imagine much going on in terms of fermentation right now.

boo boo said:
Normal. As long as you got it off the main yeast cake it should be OK.
A lot of sediment will show on the bottom of your secondary after racking.

Good to know. In fact, every now and then, I can see little particles dropping towards the bottom of the fermenter, leaving a slight trail of bubbles as they fall. Is this spent yeast?

The only real purpose of secondary fermentation is added clarity in your beer. Otherwise, you could certainly leave the beer on the yeast cake in your primary for quite a while before the processes that cause off flavors from the yeast cake have any real effect.

The new sediment you are seeing is just the result of that clarifying process.

And your going to see more yeast along the edges than what is near the center. Carboys are not flat on the bottom...at least mine aren't.

Latest posts

Back