Question about scaling for Mr. Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Been awhile, after a horrible batch of IPA, I hung up my carboys for a few
Months in shame, but alas, I am back!

My question is how to scale down recipes for the mr. Beer fermenter. I have 2 carboys and 2 bottling buckets, but I'm starting to experiment with my own recipes and do not want a ton of horrible 5 gallon batches. I know revvvy said to look in the stickies, but apparently I'm a tard and can't find the proper scaling calculations. Any help would be appreciated, or just ignore me, ah whatever! Happy brewing. Better drinking.

-j

Mr beer is 2.5 gallons? If the recipe makes 5 gallons then divide everything by 2. If it is 2 gallons you want then it would be .4 of said recipe. If you want to double a 5 gallon recipe then it would be 2 times to get the 10 gallons of beer. Or if you really hate math and fractions and have a smartphone then the Brewr app will scale any recipe you put in for you. Easy as pie. Well... Pie is hard! So easy as drinking a good beer!

Ok, so the actual ingredients are all just divided accordingly, but what about boil times and what not? I imagine they all stay the same?

As far as amounts, the only thing that doesn't scale that well is water because boil off rate is a constant for the pot whether it's full or half full doesn't matter. Timing doesn't change. You still need to boil for an hour, etc. So it takes about the same amount of time to make 1/2 batches as it does full batches. A little bit less with time to boil but overall, not much different.

joshuajbelanger said:
Roger roger! Appreciate the help gentlemen. Although I couldn't find the brewr app.

I found it in the Google play store. It might not be available for Apple.

Back