Question about priming calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The temperature the bottles will be stored at I would gather?

EDIT - Guess I'm wrong. I Googled it and found a post here that said it's the temperature of the beer at bottling time as there's a certain amount of CO2 already present in the beer.

EDIT #2 - Guess I'm doubly wrong LOL. Foot in mouth now.

Rev.

On the calculator page it says it's the temperature during fermentation --

Upon completion of fermentation, a certain amount of CO2 remains in the beer. This amount of "residual CO2" depends upon the temperature of the fermentation. An ale fermented at 65°F will have 0.9 volumes of residual CO2 while a lager fermented at 50°F will have 1.2 volumes. To get the same carbonation in these two beers would require different amounts of priming sugar.

I've read through that about 5 times and questioned it because it doesn't directly state that's temp they want for the calculation. But that makes sense and that's the temp that I've used in the past. Thanks for the confirmation.

I've always used the highest temp the fermentation reached during the latter stages of fermentation. Temps usually drop a bit from there, and I'm sure more CO2 gets left in solution from it, but then I know I lose some in the racking and bottling process. It's far from an exact process with me, but it seems to work out well enough. My results are predictable, at least, so I know from batch to batch which side I have to err on.

Latest posts

Back