Question about Peach Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goosen1

Reaction score
I purchased just over 6 gallons of peach cider in Georgia. The question I ask is, Has anyone made wine from just the cider or would it be better to blend it with the frozen grape juice concentrate? Even better yet, If someone had a recipe for it!

Jeff

What's the difference between a cider and unfiltered juice?

I don't know why you couldn't ferment it - unless it has been treated with a preservative. Seems like it would save you some time in the early stages.

I'm finishing up my first peach wine, and if anyone can help you out, it's the folks here on this forum. They gave me the advice I needed to save and correct what would have surely been a toss out batch.

Good luck!

I have the same questions also, am giving it a go in a cider forum post.

I am trying peach cider with safale S04 and sugar at 1.10 sg.

Three weeks into it at this point with the slowest fermentation I have ever had.

1 packet s04 three weeks ago, sg 1.10(my initial sg may have been off due to solids)
1 packet s04 one week ago (removed floating solids, mostly skins sg 1.09)
2 packets04 today (three full weeks, sg 1.075)

It tastes and smells great so hopefully the extra yeast will get it going.

I plan to rack and cold crash a 1.01 the s04 should be done at that point.

I used is Red Star Montrachet yeast. I figured that since I made Apfelwein out of unfiltered apple juice and used this yeast, Why not!! When I checked my SG before adding anything, It was 1.055. I added more sugar til I got it up to 1.080 added a little energizer, nutrient and potassium metabisulphite to kill off the wild yeast and what do ya know!!! .992!! I'm going to get it into the secondary today!

This thread is so right up my alley hope you don't mind the company? I am new… new… young as my cider New!

I also picked up a pasteurized gallon of 100% Juice Lane Orchards peach cider (it has added sugar and citric acid only). Dropped in a cup of corn sugar to get the SG to 1.03 & a Campden tab last night to kill any wild yeasties that I may have accidently introduced by opening the bottle two days before to make sure my bung fit the neck. ( I said New new right?) I'm throwing my yeast later today and have some choices here, Red Star Montrachet as you did, Lalvin EC-1118 (so I can try to back sweeten then recap that lid & carbonate with stovetop pot pasteurization technique), or something no one seems to use or at least not mention on this site…Red Star Cotes de Blanc, I also picked up a high heat one since I'm in Florida and we are never below 75 degrees - (Ever use Heat Wave Turbo Yeast? Probably save that for something else I guess). So Any suggestions, recommendations, warnings?

fuzzy

Recheck your specific gravity, should be higher like 1.05/1.06.

Goosen used the Montrachet and it worked, that is likely the best bet.

OK, Before I read your answer I dumped in the Lavlin 1118 read your post ran back it was bubbling so I added a little corn sugar to raise & rechecked & my SG 1.080. If it keeps bubbling through tomorrow I think I :mug:should be ok.

Fermenting that warm will make you want to age the brew longer than what one usually would. With that being said i suggest looking up some of the DIY ferm chambers on here that people use 2-litre rehashed soda bottles filled with ice to keep the brew cooler. 75-f + is definately pushing the line of where you can end up with weird off flavors.

goosen1,

As sweet as peach juice is, I'm imagining by now there must be a Category 5 hurricane happening in your carboy! Do let us know how it turns out!

Latest posts

Back