Question about my Process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHans3

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been mashing in my bottling bucket and using a BIAB bag to remove the grains to drain it. I typically add the grains (~11 lbs) and then fill it with water to mash in at 154ish (~2.2 qt/lb). I then let it sit, drain it into my kettle and sparge (single batch, and again, guessing at the volumes I'm adding) until I have 7 gallons to start my boil.

I am looking to make my process more repeatable, and I am wondering if I can use my equipment to follow the Beersmith single infusion batch sparge mash profile. I would mash for 45 minutes at 152-154F but my mash would be much thinner (1.25 qt/lb). I would then lift and squeeze the hell out of the bag and drain it into my kettle, followed by two batch sparges at 168F.

Any issues with this? I am guessing that my BIAB bag is basically acting as a false bottom in this situation correct? I think I have been undershooting my OGs because of too thin a mash and not boiling off enough water.

Cheers,

Chans

Back