Question about my first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan1

Reaction score
Hey all -- my wife and I just started making cider together. We've pitched three one-gallon batches in the past week. This forum has been a godsend -- really appreciate you guys sharing your experience here. I'm wondering if you can help me figure something out.

Our first batch which we pitched with Red Star champagne yeast on Friday, has me a little bit confused.

Over the next day, there was intense foaming and bubbling, indicating primary fermentation based on what I've read. Then, my friend noticed the airlock was improperly set up. (It's an S-style airlock, and we hadn't put any water in it.)

So that night we took it out of the closet we'd been storing it in, removed and adjusted the airlock, and returned it to the closet.

That's when I became confused: The next morning, and the three days since, there's been no obvious foaming or bubbling; it looks completely still. The foam had completely dissipated.

I understand fermentation can take a long time, but from what I'd read (both online and in The New Cider Maker's handbook), I was expecting the cider to appear still after longer -- at least 2 or 3 weeks -- then be ready for secondary.

My question: Should I be suspicious or worried? Did I do anything wrong when we moved the jug and adjusted the airlock? Or is this fairly routine and I just need to wait it out a bit longer? Thanks!

(Must is Trader Joe's cider, no preservatives. Measured at 1.05 when we pitched it, but not measured since. We used about a quarter of one packet of yeast.)

Measure it again. Perhaps it's done. Time depends on a number of factors, including temperature and nutrients. People have reported finishing fermentation in less than a week.

We pulled it out this evening and took a close look at it. I was relieved to see that it's actually still bubbling slightly, I just couldn't tell from the darker room we had it resting.

We measured it at just over 1.03 (and took a taste -- lightly fizzy and tasty). It was very encouraging to see progress, and I'll measure it again in about a week. I read a few more passages in The New Cider Maker's Guide, and I now think it's behaving more or less as expected.

Barring something unexpected in future observations, I'm going to chalk this up to paranoia and beginner's confusion. Thanks for the feedback, Maylar and DaMonkey

Champagne and wine yeasts are also fairly aggressive, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if it finished fairly soon - especially with an OG of 1.05. Good luck! I'm just getting started myself, and get ready for a ride - this is addicting!!

Back