question about mashouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlsonderek

Reaction score
hello.

i have what may be a stupid question. when performing a mashout at the end of the all grain mash, do you include the water needed to get to 168-170 as part of your qts/lb ratio? keep in mind i brew in a converted igloo cooler, so i have to add hot water to get to mashout temp, i cannot just turn the burner on and raise the temp on it's own.

i know obviously the water used to raise to mashout should be factored into my TOTAL water, but i want to know if it should be considered part of the initial mash thickness ratio, or if that water should basically be subtracted from the sparge water.

hopefully i'm wording this in a way that you guys understand what i'm asking. any help would be appreciated!
Thanks

hello.

i have what may be a stupid question. when performing a mashout at the end of the all grain mash, do you include the water needed to get to 168-170 as part of your qts/lb ratio? keep in mind i brew in a converted igloo cooler, so i have to add hot water to get to mashout temp, i cannot just turn the burner on and raise the temp on it's own.

i know obviously the water used to raise to mashout should be factored into my TOTAL water, but i want to know if it should be considered part of the initial mash thickness ratio, or if that water should basically be subtracted from the sparge water.

hopefully i'm wording this in a way that you guys understand what i'm asking. any help would be appreciated!
Thanks

It does not count toward your initial mash ratio. By the time you do a mashout conversion is over and the ration doesn't matter.

Thanks Denny!

This is exactly what I thought, since like you said the conversion is done. I appreciate you confirming it!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back