Question about Iodophor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h0psnobery

Reaction score
I regularly use iodophor to sanitize my carboys. I use a little less than a cap full for each one. The problem is that when I put the cap back on the bottle, the little bit of iodophor that's left will eventually dribble out and onto the bottle. I know it's not a lot, but over the lifetime of a 32 oz bottle, I'm sure a few cap fulls are wasted. I was thinking of pouring some into a bottle like this http://www.bottlesolutions.com/product/4000619.

It would allow me to have more control over how much I use at once and reduce the amount wasted on spills. My only concern is how iodophor will interact with the type of plastic. It's made of HDPE. Does anyone know if the iodophor will remain stable, or possibly cause any off flavors if it is stored in this type of material?

i've used iodophor for years. i looked at that dribble, and last week, i thought "dang it, there goes ounce number 1 since 2008"... wait a minute... not sure i did... nope, i didn't

I would think that the amount you lose is absolutely minimal. If you are truly concerned about a cost issue, iodophor is the same stuff dairy farmers use to sanitize and you can buy a gallon of it for the same price you pay for the 32oz bottle at a place like Tractor Supply.

Back