Question about hops and muslin grain bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkIafrate

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I've been getting tons of great advice here on HBT that's really helping me expand my knowledge-base, so thanks for that! I have a question regarding muslin grain bags and hops.

I use the bags to steep my grains, usually just after I've thoroughly mixed my DME into cold water. I steep for about 20 minutes on medium high and then after that adjust to achieve boil. Once I hit boil I remove the bag. Skip ahead a few steps to adding hops to the boil. Is there a difference between putting the whole hops directly into the boil and putting them in a muslin grain bag? I've read nylon bags are used for pellets. Is the only reason to aid in filtering?

I'd assume I'm aware this may be a stupid question but I'd like to be sure.

Thanks!
Mark

MarkIafrate said:
I use the bags to steep my grains, usually just after I've thoroughly mixed my DME into cold water. I steep for about 20 minutes on medium high and then after that adjust to achieve boil. Once I hit boil I remove the bag.

Are you leaving the grains in the bag and not removing them from the water until you reach a boil?

Maybe I'm confused but it sounds like your steeping your grains and not removing them until you reach a bowl.

The temp for steeping grains should be held at 150-160F for 20-30 minutes. Then removed before heating to a boil. Otherwise,you start extracting tannins from the grain hulls.

unionrdr said:
The temp for steeping grains should be held at 150-160F for 20-30 minutes. Then removed before heating to a boil. Otherwise,you start extracting tannins from the grain hulls.

+1

This is the point I was coming too.

u should be holding at 155 or so for 20-30 min. then removing. then increasing the heat to a boil. although i think the tannins advise is a little off, (basis some things i have recently read) but maybe someone with a little more experience / knowledge can chime in.

Always remove the grain bag before you raise the temps above 150-160F steep temps. !70F+ is when tannins start leaching out of the hulls,giving a bitter,astringent sort of quality. Never raise the temp before removing the grains.

Thanks, this is good to know. The strange thing is I was following the directions as exactly laid out with the recipe kit. I'll keep that in mind for next time.

Mark

I am a fan of not using hops in boil i like it more natural, i have made better beer with it, just make sure you can clean it out and strain it.

I am a fan of not using hops in boil i like it more natural, i have made better beer with it, just make sure you can clean it out and strain it.

This is confusing. You say you don't use hops in the boil. Then you talk about straining them out? You ned hops in the boil for flavor. Dry hopping is just aroma. Explain...

+1 I'm glad I'm not the only one confused about that..thought I was reading wrong or something.

This is confusing. You say you don't use hops in the boil. Then you talk about straining them out? You ned hops in the boil for flavor. Dry hopping is just aroma. Explain...

I read that as he doesn't use the bag to contain hops during boil.

I use nylon bags for hops. They are a little more than the throw away bags but over time you save money. I have some bags that have been through over 50 brew days and they still work fine. I also had a few pop a hole in them after 30 brew days. Not too shabby! You can certainly skip using bags but it's more you need to somehow filter out later.

A nylon bag has a tighter mesh than a muslin bag and will therefor act as a better filter. If your using whole hops this is probabaly not a concern but if you using pellet hops you will find the nylon works better. Of course you do not need to use any type of filtering bag if you dont want to. I consider it more of a personal preferance type of thing.

As other have said above, you should be removing your steeping grain before the temp gets to 170*. If you are waiting until you see bubbles you are waiting too long.

As far as Im concerned there are no stupid questions in this area of the forum. This is the place to ask anything you are unsure about. Good luck with you brews!

The paint strainer bag I picked up at the lhbs is a course weave. But it did contain most of the grains. Just some fine stuff got through that was caught in my fine mesh strainer. A medium weave bag would be better,imo.

I just toss my hops straight in during the boil. I don't bother using sacks or straining. Might have more trub at the end, but it doesn't bother me enough to change my methods...

Doing partial mash or steeping grains,it's good to get the grains strained out imo. Not to mention hop sediment,etc. Less trub equals more clear beer for me. Doesn't take anymore time,since I have plastic fermenters with wide openings so I can use a large fine mesh strainer. A lil more work now means less later. And less trub to wash out of the desired yeast.

After washing yeast for the first time this week I will definitely try straining next brew day.

Back