Question about grains (all grain)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BL41R

Reaction score
I'll use the Zombie Dust clone recipe, for an example:

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.75 lb 2 Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.7 %
1.13 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.8 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %

Are those five grains supposed to be mashed together? Like for BIAB method, would all those grains be mixed and then steeped?

Basically my question is do we ever steep grains when doing all grain or is that only for extract method?
Sorry if this is confusing :mug:

You almost always want to mash all the grains together, whether you're doing BIAB or using a mash tun. The only exception that I can think of it that some recipes for stouts and porters call for the roasted grains to be added later in the mash to reduce the amount of roastiness extracted from them. There are probably other exceptions as well, but 99% of the time, all together.

Are those five grains supposed to be mashed together?

Yep, all are mashed together.

Basically my question is do we ever steep grains when doing all grain or is that only for extract method?

Nope, generally speaking steeping grains is a method used only for extract brewing. (There are some fairly obscure all-grain methods that would use steeping, e.g. cold steeping of roasted malts)

When you mash all the grains together you can also gain a small amount of conversion from the grains that you would miss by steeping them. Put them all in together and you get the color and flavor as you would by steeping and the added bonus sugars.

Back