Question about fermenting...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knoxgoalie

Reaction score
Once a beer has reached it's FG what are the advantages besides clearing to letting it sit in the better bottle? Seems like I'm just wasting time where it could be conditioned and consumed. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Lots of things still happen after FG is reached - you are bulk conditioning at that point. Most importantly, the yeast flocculates and settles to the bottom of the fermentor, along with other things like proteins, polyphenols, hop particles, etc.

Reaching FG doesn't mean the yeast are done. They clean up their own byproducts. I don't think that affects the gravity much, though. But you can't go by that.

I'd allow several days post fermentation for that clean up.

There are a lot of compounds excreted by yeast during the replication (lag time) and fermentation processes. Letting it sit for a few days allows the yeast to re-take up these compounds, yielding better tasting beer. Just because it's done fermenting, doesn't mean it's done making beer. The most readily apparent is acetaldehyde, which most equate to a green apple flavor.

Maybe you should run a side by side comparison and decide for yourself if it's worth it?

If you want to learn more about the fermentation process, do some research on it. There are books (Yeast: The Practical Guide to Fermentation comes to mind) and there is plenty of information free on this forum and others.

Thanks for the help...I knew there was more to it just figured I'd get the answers from HBT. No one here has steered me wrong yet!

Well said,ndsgr. I used to think it took at least a week. But I'm now finding through further analysis of my notes & senses that it's more like 3-5 days on average for average gravity beers to clean up & clear more.
I like to let them clear to a slight haze or so before priming & bottling.

Do you mean that 3-5 days after fermentation is enough for the yeast to do their thing? I had my brew going for 13 days in primary and now 8 in secondary. Do you think I'd be ok to bottle this weekend? That would be about 4 weeks since I started. I also added my flavoring already to secondary. Would that be better to bottle quickly or let that sit? It's black currant flavoring from NB. Thanks for your help...

Do you mean that 3-5 days after fermentation is enough for the yeast to do their thing? I had my brew going for 13 days in primary and now 8 in secondary. Do you think I'd be ok to bottle this weekend? That would be about 4 weeks since I started. I also added my flavoring already to secondary. Would that be better to bottle quickly or let that sit? It's black currant flavoring from NB. Thanks for your help...

I give it 3-5 days after a stable FG is reached. So,at the times you gave,if it tastes good (for green beer),& you have a stable FG,then yes,bottle it. Unless your flavoring adds sugars. When did you add the flavoring?

I've never used fruit extractives myself. That's why I was wondering if it contained sugars. It might kick off fermentation again,causing some bottle bombs...

The people at NB told me that it wouldnt be a problem with sugars. They said I still would have to carb like normal

Hmmm. Maybe the extractive uses long chain (un-fermentable) sugars that wouldn't matter. But,yes,you'd still have to prime when bottling.

I'm just using the carb drops like I usually would...I'll post back and let you know how it goes. Just need to go to my LHBS and get some more bottles!

I'd like to hear how it goes. The cooper's carb drops work ok. I have to bottle my IPA in the morning. Then get to brewing my English bitter. I have plenty of bottles,some day I'll have to count how many! Need to brew more often. Not to mention,get a beer fridge to put them all in when they condition to their best.
Good luck,man!:mug:

Back