Question about DMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulHilgeman

Reaction score
I tried to get my last big partial mash in this evening. Unfortunately I was a bit rushed and only did a 45 minute boil. I adjusted my hops accordingly to maintain a good balance of BU:GU, but I am a little concerned about DMS from not boiling long enough.

the 45 minutes was the time of the ROLLING boil. This is on a turkey fryer, all 6 gal of wort. The boil was extremely vigorous.

The recipe was:
4lbs Briess 2 Row 1.5L
5lbs Briess 2-Row Pale Ale 3.4L
5lbs LME

I don't know the smell because I have never had a batch affected by it, but there certainly was no cooked corn smell or veggie smell to the wort towards the end of the boil. I didnt smell it much at the begginning. Though at 60 IBU it was hard to smell through the hops!!!

-Paul

you are Ok as long as you did not cover the boil pot during the boil RDWHAHB

No,

Definitely didnt cover it at all!!!

I didnt think so. It isnt nearly as much of a concern for these slightly darker base malts is it??? Mainly a concern with pilsner malts at 1-1.2L Right?

I am doing a batch of belgian blonde, definitely doing a 90 minute boil on that one!

-Paul

Remember, slow cooling can also result in DMS. As long as you cooled fairly quickly, you should be fine.

Yeah, I had it down to about 76 degrees in 10-15 minutes. THen I whirlpooled, set it in a sink of 58 degree water, and left for where i had to be. Siphoned off and pitched a few hours later when I got home. Wort was CRYSTAL clear, first time I have left the trub out of the primary. I sucked up a few oz on purpouse since I have heard it is a good yeast neutrient though.

-Paul

It's homebrew dude... Haven't we all read something about relaxing, not worrying, and having a homebrew...

Latest posts

Back