Question about Cote des Blancs yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedo-Rick

Reaction score
Getting ready to try another batch of cider. Unfortunately, my first attempt was a disaster. But I did learn some things, and that's important.

I want to use Cote des Blancs yeast for my next attempt. Unlike the 11.5g pack of Nottingham Ale yeast I used for my first attempt, the Cote des Blanc yeast pack is only 5g.

Should I rehydrate and pitch 2ea 5g packs of the Cote des Blanc yeast to get closer to the volume of traditional brewers yeast, or do wine/champagne yeasts differ in a way you can pitch less and achieve the same results?

Thanks!

Yooper,

One more question about the Cotes de Blancs yeast...I keep reading descriptions about it being "low foaming", does that mean it doesn't create a thick, high rising krausen? If so, could I just ferment 5 gallons of cider right in my 5 gallon carboy without worry of it pouring out of the airlock?

Yooper,

One more question about the Cotes de Blancs yeast...I keep reading descriptions about it being "low foaming", does that mean it doesn't create a thick, high rising krausen? If so, could I just ferment 5 gallons of cider right in my 5 gallon carboy without worry of it pouring out of the airlock?

Maybe. Sometimes it still does have a bit of foam, but nothing really major.

Can you help me better understand the process of back sweetening fermented cider with fresh cider.

How much of a rise in gravity would one gallon of fresh cider at a gravity of say 1.056 give to 5 gallons of cider fermented to 1.000?

I think the right answer is .009. I came to that conclusion by taking .056/6=.009 That is figuring 6 gallons final volume. Or is it .056/5=.011? That doesn't seem right to me, because again the final volume would be 6 gallons not 5, but I just wanted to ask to be sure.

Thanks!

Back