Question about controlling bitterness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thearcher

Reaction score
OK I am trying to make a brew that my wife will like, this is the deal:

I made an Australian ale from Coppers extract and added a light DME to it and for me is wonderful. For my wife she loves the taste but not the bitterness. This is my question.....Because I am using the extract and have no control over the amount of hops could I add something to the wort like honey? If I add honey to the boil would it have a significant effect on the bitterness of the finished brew? If so how much honey do you all think would be the right amount to balance out the bitterness but not make the brew to sweet?

Thanks

Curtis

Honey in large amounts will make it taste kind of odd. You're better off just adding a bunch of un-hopped LME or DME. That will boost the maltyness of the final product and help balance the bitter.

But really you are way better off just ditching the hopped coopers extract altogether and controlling your hop additions yourself.

Honey won't sweeten beer, it will ferment out and boost your abv somewhat and add some of its flavor characteristics. If you want to balance out the bitterness you could try steeping some crystal malt and adding that to your brew, the unfermentable sugars will provide sweetness that will diminish the apparent hop presence.
About 1/2 lb of a light crystal malt, or honey malt, steeped at 155 for 50 minutes or so would greatly improve many extract kits.

For my wife she loves the taste but not the bitterness. This is my question.....Because I am using the extract and have no control over the amount of hops

Don't buy pre hopped kits, then you can control the bitterness.

Back