Question about cleaning plastic 5 gallon carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyisstrange

Reaction score
I have a plastic carboy that has been in storage in a basement for about 3 years. I was wondering if my 1 Step No Rinse Cleaner would be sufficient in cleaning the carboy. I have heard of people using Oxiclean and I really dont want to go that rout. Thanks!

It's the same thing as oxyclean...1 step, PBW, etc. That's why it says it's oxygen based and looks the same in the bucket.

It should work fine, I mean only you know how dirty it is. I would still sanitize it like normal when you're done.

Can't the 1 step no rinse be used as a sanitizer?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Home Brew mobile app

I wouldn't use one step as a sanitizer. I prefer Starsan over all others.But the one step should be fine to clean it with. My 6G better bottle rinsed out clean rather easilly with just water. but I used a carboy brush & a gallon of PBW anyway. Rinse well then sanitized with Starsan. I use it most often freshly sanitized with some gallon jugs to get local spring water from White House Artsian Springs @25C per gallon. So I want it clean & sanitary for the water that may sit in it for a couple days before brewday.

Wow, my local home brew store sells 1 step as a sanitizer...I have a few 1 gallon jugs of mead fermenting and a couple 5 gallons of beer fermenting and I used this as a no rinse sanitizer...will my brews be ok*

Back when I used to use dish soap and water... now I just toss in a little oxyclean and scrub with a non-scratch pad. You sanitize before you put anything in there so as long as you get all the previous junk out think you should be ok?

So should I scrap my brew?

Before you put your beer in the bucket what did you do? Just use the one step? I'd wait to see if you get an effection before tossing. If you open it in a week and it stinks, bad... Throw it out. If it smells like beer, drink it.

You should sanitize before using, cleaning is for after unless you gave gunk from storing.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

Thank you...I will wait on transferring into the secondary till tomorrow and I'll pick up some San star

Thank you...I will wait on transferring into the secondary till tomorrow and I'll pick up some San star

Nowadays it's recommended not to use a secondary unless your adding ingredients or dry hopping. Is your fermentation done? You should wait before moving if not as well.

Well its a braggot recipe...a pretty simple one...There won't be anything added until I go to bottle, then I'll prime with some extra honey.

Well its a braggot recipe...a pretty simple one...There won't be anything added until I go to bottle, then I'll prime with some extra honey.

I wouldn't secondary then just keep it in the primary for 3 to 4 weeks, bottle. If you church gravity check it after 1 or 2 weeks to make sure it's fermenting fine, then at the end.

Back