Question about Carbonating with Gyle....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tad_Porter

Reaction score
Hi Folks:

Psyched to find this forum! I've been haunting it for a while, but now it's time for my first post. I did a bunch of searches, and I couldn;t find that anyone had posted quite this question. Nevertheless, if this comes up frequently, and I missed it, apologies in advance....

Anyway, I've been bottling with gyle for about a year now. I love it: I think it helps make my beer taste and feel the way I want it to. Let me be clear: by gyle, I mean wort before I pitch yeast. Here's my procedure: cool the 3 gallons of boiled wort (I'm an extract and specialty grains brewer, for now), dump it into a carboy with 2 gallons of cold water, measure the SG, plug the numbers into the equation in the back of the Joy of Homebrewing (quarts of gyle=(12xgallons of wort)/((SG-1)x1000))), pull ou that many quarts, but it in a glass jar and freeze it until bottling time.

But here's the problem. I also make 1/2 gallon yeast starters, so after I run all my calculations and pull out the wort I need, I then throw in a half-gallon of yeast/starter, all of which has a different SG, and which then also increases the volume of wort.

How do I correct for this? Or should I not worry about a starter and just pitch Activator packs (I always make a starter from a propagator, and always have very vigorous fermentation within 10 hrs or so).

Thanks so much.

Not worrying is always an option :)

There are any number of ways to approach this. One would be to decant the starter beer from the starter before pitching. Another would be to make the starter match the beer, so you can pitch the whole volume with no worries.

Latest posts

Back