Question about brewing procedures for Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIT_MAN

Reaction score
Alright, I'm doing my second brew and I went to my local brewery and had the owner put together a Hefe Oat brew kit together. Here are the list of ingredients.

Yeast: Fermentis Safbrew WB-06

Malts/ Fermentables:
Muntons Dry Light Extract 2lbs
Muntons Dry Wheat Extract 3lbs
Oats (flaked) .50lbs
Weyermann Caramel Wheat .75lbs
Total: 6.25lbs

Hops:
Phoenix .25oz Pellet Boil: 60mins
Saaz .50oz Leaf Boil: 15mins
Total: .8 oz

IBU: 12.3
SRM: 7
ABV: 5.20
OG: 1.053
FG: 1.013

I used a truebrew Pilsner kit last time that I followed to the T and now I'm a little confused on how to do this kit since it was put together my local brewmaster. I wish it had a sheet that explained each step because I'm weary of jumping into to something like this. Especially, I have the oats that I am suppose to summerge at 160* for like 30 minutes. I don't know when to add each ingredient or what temp. to do each ingredient with. I'm hoping someone here has one of those programs that will allow them to put all the ingredients into the program and it will guide you how to make the brew. Sorry for the super noob questions but I'm really stumped on what I need to do.

BeerSmith is a great free program that will generate a "Brew Day Sheet" for you. You just put in the ingredients, and what type of brew it is (extract, all grain), and it will do the rest. It just takes about 10 minutes to put the information in and you're set.

BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum

Brew Sheet Looks like this:
Beer%20Smith%20Schedule.jpg

I'm a little puzzled since I'd figure you'd need some sort of base grain in a mash to convert the oats. Just steeping it isn't going to do much since none of the starch is going to get converted. The caramel can be steeped, but I don't think the oats will accomplish much without some enzymes to do the work.

I'm a little puzzled since I'd figure you'd need some sort of base grain in a mash to convert the oats. Just steeping it isn't going to do much since none of the starch is going to get converted. The caramel can be steeped, but I don't think the oats will accomplish much without some enzymes to do the work.

I don't have a clue what you are talking about. My brewmaster put the oats and caramel together in a steeping bag. That's all I know at this point.

Looks to me like you have everything in your original post. You say 160º for 30mins, remove, add your DME, boil, add the 60min hops at 60min (the beginning), the 15mins at 15mins (45mins into the boil). Turn burner off at 60mins, cool, transfer to fermentor, pitch yeast, wait.

Don't know if you're doing full or partial boil so that may change/add an item or two.

Looks to me like you have everything in your original post. You say 160º for 30mins, remove, add your DME, boil, add the 60min hops at 60min (the beginning), the 15mins at 15mins (45mins into the boil). Turn burner off at 60mins, cool, transfer to fermentor, pitch yeast, wait.

Don't know if you're doing full or partial boil so that may change/add an item or two.

I don't know what DME means. Also, i don't know the difference between a partial and full boil is. Could you clarify this please?

OK, sorry...DME = Dried Malt Extract. That's what you have listed in the original post. Full boil would be you are boiling...oh....7-8 gallons of wort to end up with 5 - 5.5gallons. Partial Boil you would be only boiling 2 - 3 gallons then topping off with chilled water to get you to 5 - 5.5gallons. I'm going to guess you are doing partial....

Basically what I'm trying to get at is don't over think the process.

I did a similar recipe, and I don't have beersmith available, but I think the suggested OG is a little on the high side. Not that it is a problem, I think that will come out to be a good beer.

Steeping oats soak up A LOT of water. And though this point is argued here regularly, I believe that you should not squeeze the steeping grains to try and get that water out. It has been suggested that squeezing extracts tannins (I say better safe than sorry, but others will tell you it is fine). If you have a second pot, I would steep the oats and grains for 20-30 minutes in about a gallon and a half of water (as steeping in too much water will also extract unwanted tannins). While you are doing this, begin bringing the remainder of your water to a boil in your main pot. This will save some time assuming you have a second pot available.

The only other suggestion I would make, hoping to keep it simple, is to add half of your DME (could be 2 or 3 lbs.) at the beginning of the boil and add the remainder with 10 minutes left. In both cases turn the flame off (or remove from heat) until you have it stirred in, so you don't scorch the extract on the bottom of the pot. This will reduce caramalization of the extract and improve the taste of the resulting beer.

I did a similar recipe, and I don't have beersmith available, but I think the suggested OG is a little on the high side. Not that it is a problem, I think that will come out to be a good beer.

Steeping oats soak up A LOT of water. And though this point is argued here regularly, I believe that you should not squeeze the steeping grains to try and get that water out. It has been suggested that squeezing extracts tannins (I say better safe than sorry, but others will tell you it is fine). If you have a second pot, I would steep the oats and grains for 20-30 minutes in about a gallon and a half of water (as steeping in too much water will also extract unwanted tannins). While you are doing this, begin bringing the remainder of your water to a boil in your main pot. This will save some time assuming you have a second pot available.

The only other suggestion I would make, hoping to keep it simple, is to add half of your DME (could be 2 or 3 lbs.) at the beginning of the boil and add the remainder with 10 minutes left. In both cases turn the flame off (or remove from heat) until you have it stirred in, so you don't scorch the extract on the bottom of the pot. This will reduce caramalization of the extract and improve the taste of the resulting beer.

That's exactly what I thought about doing. Steeping the oats and caramel in another pot and then adding it in at the end of the brewing process.

Back