Question about Brew Kettle size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willibauer

Reaction score
Hey all,

A question about brew kettle size. Currently, I'm using a 5 gal Stainless steel pot. I've made two batches (extract kits) so far. I'm concerned about the whole "cook with 3 gallons, then top up to 5 gallons with water afterwards".

It just seems weird to me to make a "beer concentrate" then dilute at the end. Seems inaccurate, depending on the amount of evaporation, water amount, etc. As well, you're introducing a questionable ingredient to your beer. Even if the water is filtered and clean. The bucket you pour it out of, the funnel, etc all need to be sanitized.

My question is, is it worth buying a 10 gallon kettle, and starting each 5 gallon batch with the proper amount of liquid at the start (6.5 gals or whatever)? Not needing to dilute at the end.

Does the beer quality differ from a topped up batch and a boiled down batch? Honestly, it's the only thing that seems "off" to me with these 5 gal kits. They stress cleanliness and such over and over. Then there's this one step that kind of goes against all that.

Cheers,
Glen

I started this hobby about 4 years ago brewing 1 gal extract using a 3 gallon kettle. I quickly grew tired of being limited so I bought a 10 gallon kettle with ball valve. I do 5.75 gal batches now (5.75 in fermenter) and I hold back about 1.5 gal of water then add that in after the mash (BIAB brewer here). I could mash in with full volume but it puts my wort at the very top of my kettle and when I pull out the bag it makes a mess. So it's just easier to withhold some water and add in before the boil.

I would look for at least a 10 gallon kettle. Check out Spike Brewing. They have a bargain tab that includes some marked down items (scratches or some other minor issue. You can usually get one for under $200. You could also look at the bayou classic kettles. Only issue with those is the metal is on the thin side.
There are countless other manufacturers out there- just depends on what you want.

As for taste, IDK if topping up makes a difference. I don't notice a diff withholding back 1.5-2 gal but maybe it does it you have to hold back have of your strike volume.

My next set up will incl a 15 gal pot but I'm hoping to move to electric maybe sometime next year.

I've topped off some beers before and didn't notice too much of a difference in quality, but I do prefer to have the full volume if possible.

I think it would be worth getting a 10 gallon kettle, especially if you plan on doing all grain.

You can dilute to whatever OG you want so as far as accuracy is concerned, its not an issue. Get that water super cold and it will help chill the wart to pitching temps. I occasionally over boil or start off with not enough water and I regularly add RO water right out of the jug and I have had no issues with off flavors or infection. :mug:

Should you get a 10-gallon kettle? Sure. It's not my money, so I advise you to get it. :)

In the long run, I think you'd be happier. Lots and lots of recipes are for 5-gallon batches, and doing those would simplify things. It also would allow you to do brew-in-a-bag for all-grain. An 8-gallon kettle isn't really large enough for that.

There are tradeoffs. It'll take longer to boil, unless you have something like a propane burner. On the other hand, you can do it inside on your stove.

I would recommend 7.5-10gal.

I generally top up water post mash with my biab if needed, but depending on the amount if grain and crush size you can do a 5gal batch I a 7.5gal pot, though 10 would be much better.

I brew 2 gallon batches BIAB. I felt hamstrung with my 3 gallon pot to the point of asking for a 4 gallon pot for my birthday. Now my 3 gallon pot will be my HLT and I couldn’t be happier. I can now reasonably do a 1.100 beer, which is the high end of what I would want to do. So if I were a five gallon brewer, which I won’t be in the near future, but if I were, I would buy a ten gallon pot so I wouldn’t be limited to 1.080. Not that 1.080 is a tiny beer, on the contrary it’s just that if I want to, I can’t or at least I can’t without

Get at least a 10 gallon pot. If I had expendable cash, I would get a 15 gallon pot so I didn't have to mess with taking the pot off the burner and messing with the burner output trying to not get 8 gallons to boil over in my 10 gallon pot.

I would recommend 7.5-10gal.

I generally top up water post mash with my biab if needed, but depending on the amount if grain and crush size you can do a 5gal batch I a 7.5gal pot, though 10 would be much better.

7.5 gallon pots are bare minimum and would leave one worried about boil overs quite often. Better to go immediately to the 10 gallon.

7.5 gallon pots are bare minimum and would leave one worried about boil overs quite often. Better to go immediately to the 10 gallon.
8 gallon pot user here, and 5 gallons is the max volume for me. I can do it, but instead design recipes in beersmith using 4.5 target and get 4 to 4.5 gallons in the fermenter.

I like the smaller batch size because it makes handling the pot and the grain easier, but if I were doing 5 gal batches consistently 10 gal would be the way to go.

Thanks for all the replies. 10 Gallon it is! Although 15 gal isn't much more..... it would seem a waste to buy 10 gal now and then an even bigger one down the road. Hmmmm...

Is it worth it for the built in thermometer and/or faucet on the bottom?

Cheers,
Glen

Built ins are personal preference -- will you want to hook up gravity/pump feeds or not, that sort of thing.

I wanted to add that starting w extract kits was me also and went to 10g kettle and the thing is you have to be willing to spend more time bringing to strike temp, bringing to boiling and WAY more time cooling, which I miss terribly with the old "top up" style brewing.

I love that my pot has a thermometer and faucet. If anything, get the faucet. Because when I'm heating up 8 gallons of strike water, there is no way I'm going to be able to lift it to dump it without hurting myself. A faucet it a must. Built in thermometer is nice to have but not necessary.

Thanks for all the replies. 10 Gallon it is! Although 15 gal isn't much more..... it would seem a waste to buy 10 gal now and then an even bigger one down the road. Hmmmm...

Is it worth it for the built in thermometer and/or faucet on the bottom?

Cheers,
Glen
Go for the 15!
I am a BIAB brewer and I have found with some high gravity brews I was close to a boil over with my 15 gal kettle. I am glad I didn't settle for the 10 gal.
Also get the kettle with at least the ball valve. The thermometer is handy but not as necessary.
Once you have this kettle you will appreciate it. Believe me.

...15 gal isn't much more....

I started with a 15gal kettle, for 5gal batches. It was a very good decision. I never have to worry about a boilover, and if I want to do larger batches I'm set.

...built in thermometer and/or faucet on the bottom?

I BIAB, so I don't want a thermometer probe sticking into the kettle and possibly ripping my bag.

Love my drain valve. I raised my burner so I can drain directly from the kettle into my fermenter after chilling.

If you are satisfied with making 5 gallon extract batches and only concerned about the top off water being added after the fact, then I say keep on doing what you are doing. Just make sure you have quality water. As said above, chilled water helps cool your wort as well.

However, if you are looking for an excuse to get some better equipment or if you plan to get into all grain at some point, then go for it. The bigger the better for the most part. You absolutely DO want to have a drain valve. Thermometer, eh, maybe. If you are only going to boil in it then it doesn't much matter. Water boils at 212ish. I use mine to heat mash water and stuff too so I thought that the thermometer would be a good idea. Not really. I have a 15 gallon brew kettle that I use for 5 and 10 gallon batches. It is almost too small for 10 gallon batches (sometimes it is too small). It works fine for 5 gallon, except that the liquid level is below the thermometer placement so it becomes unusable. In reality though it is not very accurate anyway and I just use my Thermopen.

Back