Question about boiling water for wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesJ

Reaction score
Does boiling tap water get rid of the chlorine in it? Just asking cos I was wondering if I should use filtered water for the 2 gallons I use for my wort boil or if tap water is fine. Thanks.

Does boiling tap water get rid of the chlorine in it? Just asking cos I was wondering if I should use filtered water for the 2 gallons I use for my wort boil or if tap water is fine. Thanks.

I filter all my water. You have chlorine and chloramines to worry about and I find it is just best to get a filter. There are also some tablets you can use to rid your water of this stuff, but I still think filtering is easier.

I've heard that boiling will rid the water of chlorine, but not chloramines. My general rule of thumb has always been, "if the water tastes good, it's fine for extract brewing".

Like Yooper said, boiling will eliminate chlorine, but not chloramines, and that's what most water treatment places use now because it doesn't leave a chlorine aroma, but it still can affect your beer. I use a Brita carbon filter on my faucet and just fill everything for my brew through it.

I live in an old house and our sink faucet is an irregular size. I tried putting a carbon filter on it with no luck so I bought a britta pitcher instead. It's a pain to fill up the pitcher, wait for the water to filter and do it again and again. That's part of why I was wondering how important it was to use filtered water for the wort. I have no problem doing that if it makes a difference but I was trying to cut down on some time if at all possible. Cheers!!

This weekends Irish Red Ale, I went ahead and treated my tap water for chloramines with campden tablets.

I'll be curious to see if I notice any improvement in taste of my beer...it was an experiment :)

A good way to filter the water is to filter a couple gallons and store them in gallon jugs the day before or so. That allows you to just start going when you're ready to boil instead of spending 30 minutes filtering water.

Back