Question about BJCP style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philmin9

Reaction score
If I brewed a kit labeled a pilsner, but I brewed it with ale yeast, what BJCP style guideline would that fall under?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks. I've brewed up some kits I had laying around and that particular brew came out amazing. And there is a competition at the end of the month in my area, so I thought I would enter it, I just didn't know what style to out it under.

If you think it's clean enough to pass for lager you could enter it in that category. Otherwise go with blond ale. I would not enter it as a Kolsch if the hops are Czech/German pils amounts.

I haven't tasted the carbonated finished product, but flat I just don't think it's clean enough for a lager. And I used Saaz hops, and dry hopped with them, and I'm really pleased with the aroma. I sort of kicked around the fringes of brewing before, but just got back I to it and made a real concerted effort to make this beer as well as I know how, and if a sip at bottling is any indicator, I can make some damn good beer when I pay attention.

Back