What style would this classify as

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neon0107

Reaction score
Hi All,

I brewed up a beer awhile back, and didn’t know my software was pulling in brewers association guidelines as well as BJCP. Now I want to enter this beer but not sure where it would fall with 2021 BJCP. What would you classify this as?

thank you!

Attachments

• 3CE1EA33-E3B7-46F2-ADAD-D0F535E95303.jpeg
    3CE1EA33-E3B7-46F2-ADAD-D0F535E95303.jpeg
    394.6 KB · Views: 0
I suppose more info is needed. What did you brew? And more importantly, what does it smell, look, and taste like? Sometimes when you brew something, the results wind up being better represented in another style than intended. And sometimes sending it in for evaluation will help you figure out where it belongs, style-wise. Don't just listen to one, or even two scoresheets. You may need quite a few scoresheets to get a more rounded answer.

I believe the OP wants to know what 2021 BJCP style the attached description would fit.

I would vote for 9A. Doppelbock...

Cheers!

I believe the OP wants to know what 2021 BJCP style the attached description would fit.

I would vote for 9A. Doppelbock...

Cheers!
Good catch, but it's far too light for dopplebock, even dunkles. I would consider either 8A Munich Dunkel or 8B Schwarzbier. It's hard to decipher since the OP's attached description is incredibly vague, aside from a tech-spec.

Thank you for your thoughts. I was leaning towards a dunked also. Just trying to find something close to get feedback. It has a good malty backbone and has a bit of sweetness but finishes dry. i attached pic of recipe. I used Bavarian lager yeast.

Attachments

• 8B8B082E-9ED3-4F5C-901B-A275AF9461B7.jpeg
    8B8B082E-9ED3-4F5C-901B-A275AF9461B7.jpeg
    313.1 KB · Views: 0
Dopplebock, maybe. It’s on the lower end of the abv for the style but that’s probably ok. 10% special b might make it a tough fit in any category.

My vote is for 2C International Dark Lager.
Yes, I may second this. Totally overlooked it.

Side note, that's a lot of Munich. I'm not saying that you did wrong, but damn, that's a lot of Munich
Flavor-wise yes, that may be a roundabout way of achieving a doppel with lower ABV, but process will get you much further than shortcutting a recipe.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that you'll wind up with a bad beer or that youre doing the wrong thing. I'm only pointing out orthodoxy, I guess.

Dopplebock, maybe. It’s on the lower end of the abv for the style but that’s probably ok. 10% special b might make it a tough fit in any category.
10% Special B might make it undrinkable, too.

Edit: Oops! You already made it and like the result. For my own taste, that much Special B would be overpowering.

Good catch, but it's far too light for dopplebock, even dunkles.

I think you looked at the wrong set of numbers in the OPs posted image.
Here's what I see:

1672795599755.png

And these are the 9A specs...

9A: Dopplebock

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.072 – 1.112
IBUs: 16 – 26 FG: 1.016 – 1.024
SRM: 6 – 25 ABV: 7.0 – 10.0%

Cheers!

I think you looked at the wrong set of numbers in the OPs posted image.
Here's what I see:

View attachment 809464

And these are the 9A specs...

9A: Dopplebock

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.072 – 1.112
IBUs: 16 – 26 FG: 1.016 – 1.024
SRM: 6 – 25 ABV: 7.0 – 10.0%

Cheers!
I wasnt referring to color specifically, I was looking at the differing OG's, IBU's, SRM, ABV, etc. Also, compare the descriptions. The OP's listing clearly states caramel is unacceptable, but 9A states "light caramel notes" in the aroma, and no mention of caramel being unacceptable. The mystery description also states that fruity esters should be minimal, that is not exactly the case with 9A.
The closest I've been able to come up with, and is the one I think I'll recommend, is 6C Dunkles Bock. I'm going against my previous suggestion since I'm not drinking brett Belgian quad barrel aged for a year and a half this time.

Back