Question About BESTMALZ Wheat Malt Analysis Sheet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiquidFlame

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to enter some new ingredients into my BeerSmith and needed some help. I'm entering BESTMALZ Wheat Malt and after looking at their analysis sheet I'm confused. Any help would be appreciated.

1. They list a min and max for color. Which one should I use?
  2. They only list a max for moisture, so I would assume I would just use that?
  3. As far as I can see they don't list anything for diastatic power. What should I enter?
  4. Just to make sure, I would use the following values for the following entires:
    Yield: 82%
    Coarse Fine Difference: 3%
    Protein:14%

Thanks.

I have never used BeerSmith but here's some answers to your questions:

1.) You would take an average of the two (min + max / 2).
2.) The minimum moisture content for most wheat and barley base grains is generally around 4%.
3.) The diastatic power of white wheat malt is about 160 Degree Lintner.
4.) Yes, those numbers will work.

Generally speaking, the Dry-Basis Fine Grind is used to determine PPG for recipes.

Your grain has a minimum of 82% Dry-Basis Fine Grind.
Sugar has a specific gravity of 1.046.

Your grain PPG = 46 * .82 = 37.72 = 1.03772 = 1.038

Thus your software will most probably assign a PPG of 38 to this grain and use that in your recipes.

Therefore if you had a recipe with say 9 lbs of this grain for a 5.5 gallon batch you would expect an OG of:
38 * 9 / 5.5 = 62.181818 = 1.062 @ 100% efficiency.
@70 percent efficiency
62.181818 * .7 = 43.52727272727273

So with 9lbs of this grain for 5.5 gallon batch you'd get an OG of about 1.044.

Now depending on how this software utilizes the moisture, coarse grind and protein fields it may come out a point lower or higher.

You have chosen a very fine base grain.

At any rate, more than you ever wanted to know and from a complete stranger none-the-less.

Good Luck with your brewing.

Back