Question about adding blueberry extract to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJDore

Reaction score
New to kegging so have a question. Typically when I make my Blueberry Wheat I just add the extract to the bottling bucket. Now that I'm kegging I have a question for you guys. When I add the extract and rack on top of it in the keg, once I've pressurized and purged the keg of oxygen, can I shake it to mix it up? You guys shake to force carb, right? Can I do the same once I"ve purged the keg?

Thanks in advance.

You can shake it. But...I wouldn't suggest it. Not because of the extract, but because it's a dumb way of carbonating in my opinion.

Half the time you'll end up with an overcarbonated beer, and even if it does turn out perfectly carbed, it's still green when you start drinking it. Most beers need 2-3 weeks in the kegs anyway to fully develop their flavors, so why rush the carbonation?

Sorry I wasn't clear on my goal. Not trying to force carb. Just trying to mix the extract by shaking it a bit. I still plan to let it sit on the gas for a week to carb.

Yeah, you'll be fine. Shaking it won't cause any issues as long as there's no air in the keg. Just purge it with co2 and you'll be good.

So I have a follow-up question. I've had my Blueberry Wheat on the gas now for 7 days and it is great. I want to add a little more blueberry extract to it, though, to suit my taste. Is it ok to release the pressure from the keg and open now that it's carbed? I understand the risk of contamination, but want to see if I can enhance the flavor a bit.

Back