Question about ABV in contests

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celticcolorado

Reaction score
I have just brewed a Belgian Dark Strong Ale, but the ABV is coming in at 8.38% which is on the low side of the style. (This was due to really poor efficiency because of the grind I got.) Anyway, from the samples I took, it tastes fantastic.

Is ABV for the style something that is ever considered when submitting for a contest? I have never sent one in and was hoping this would be the one. I really am not sure if I should try to increase the alcohol because I really enjoy the flavor of my gravity sample

Plus, since you are so close to me, I will take 1 bottle of this fine beer as payment for my advise! Just kiddin.....what comp are you sending it too? You may also want to enter it in the Big Beers, Belgians and Barleywines in Vail...early January I believe.

Plus, since you are so close to me, I will take 1 bottle of this fine beer as payment for my advise! Just kiddin.....what comp are you sending it too? You may also want to enter it in the Big Beers, Belgians and Barleywines in Vail...early January I believe.

That's the same contest that I want to do. I'm hoping by January it will be really good.

You usually do not have to disclose the ABV and the judges won't be able to tell the difference between 8.5 and 9% most likely. I vote for leaving it alone. If it were mine, I'd probably make the beer worse by trying to raise the ABV at this point.

Uh, how would the judges know what the ABV actually is? They aren't testing the alcohol content of the beers, and you aren't sending them your OG and FG numbers on the entry form.

As noted, 8.4% is perfectly fine for the style anyway.

Thanks everyone for the advice. That is really what I wanted to hear. I just wasn't sure if that was something that was disclosed to the judges or not.

Back