Quality Ingredients=

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewStef

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have read that you should spend a few extra dollars to get QUALITY ingredients. I wholeheartedly agree.

The question is: What differentiates quality ingredients from, uh, non-quality ingredients? The LHBS has stuff, I buy it, thats it. Sometimes it is online, sometimes local. Is there a "hidden stash" where the good stuff is kept?

So please, how do I know what is quality, and what isnt? Shelflife? Which vendors have better stuff and why?

Thanks.

BrewStef

My two cents:

Liquid Yeast vs Dry would fit this category. Although if you harvest yeast for future batches you save $ here.

This could be debatable but whole hops vs pellets; if they're fresh. I use a mixture of both because I get fresh online but if I need something I don't use much I get that at the HBS in pellets.

If you do all grain - using grains from the countries that the recipe calls for would fit this as well. You can always get American 2-row cheaper than belgium, british etc but if your making a belgium whatever, use that grain. Example I make a porter that I could use american 2-row for .99 lb but I want the richer, maltier flavor I get from the $1.69 British Maris Otter.

Different vendors actually having quality vs older product is a differnent story of course. But, if all were equal then my previous commentary...

Thanks for your input. It is my personal philosophy is to always use the best ingredients - life is too short to do otherwise.

Cheers :mug:

BrewStef

Your beer will only taste as good as the worse ingredient.

Since I've used whole. fresh hops, I can't turn back. Same with high quality grains and fresh yeast. There's just such a huge difference in the quality of the process that it's an entirely new dimension to the beer.

Homebrewing isn't cheap. If you're trying to save money, consider making cuts elsewhere.

Back