Q's Keezer Build -- No Woodworking EXP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronmq

Reaction score
I wanted to post my build because I was reluctant to even try and build a keezer with a coffin box and cabinet because I have no experience with woodworking and have very little tools. I decided to go for it anyways and I wanted to show anyone who my also be reluctant to build because they don't have any experience. Patience and planning are the key and ask plenty of questions to assist. All I have is a drill, jigsaw, and borrowed a miter saw from my folks.

I got the inspiration for my keezer from Ubermick's build; however, I am only doing four faucets. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=179528
IMG_01723.jpg

First, my search began for an affordable freezer that could fit four kegs with no collar. I finally came across Fridgidaire 7.3 cf (Model FFFC07M1QW) for $250 at Home Depot. As a bonus, a 5 lb CO2 tank also fits on the floor, so I can put some bottles on the hump.

I framed the freezer with 2x3s. I was going to frame it with 2x4s but was advised by the guy at home depot that 2x3s would suffice and it would keep the weight down.

Next, I screwed plywood to the frame.

I then used 1x3s with the mitered ends to do the molding. Since I don't have clamps, I used wood glue on the 1x3s and then used a few tacks per board to keep them in place. I then used a punch to revet the tacks a bit and put some wood putty over the holes.

The top was a little more challenging. I used plywood with mitered 1x3s for the countertop and a 1x4 for the lip. I had to use a couple of screws to keep it sturdy, but again, drilled it under the surface and threw some putty over the holes. I used liquid nails to attach it to the freezer lid and put a few kegs and buckets full of water to press the top onto the freezer lid. It's not done curing yet so I can't say how well it worked, but I'll probably end up bolting it just to be safe.

That's all I have for now, but I am very pleased with how it's going so far.

That lid gets heavy really quick. I'm a lot like you with not much experience but bolting the top to the lid went waaaaaaaaay easier than I ever thought it would on mine. Since yours is already liquid nailed down, just use a forstner bit to countersink holes somewhere near the corners, drill through and then run some bolts/washers/nuts and you'll be all set. Here's how I did mine:

For someone with no wood working skill your kezzer looks great.
Good luck with it.:rockin:

Alright, I have made some progress.

The liquid nails worked like a charm, but I did eventually bolt the top down-- thanks for the advice badandy.. it would have been a shame if the whole top flew off while switching out a keg. (Don't mind the messy garage or photobombing toddler)

IMG_20150531_085634_082_zpsfknmg7lb.jpg

I stained the bottom...

IMG_20150601_121533_219_zpsdsq0uttj.jpg

I began to build the coffin box. I cut a hole under the taps to mount the temperature controller display there...

IMG_20150609_171948_344_zpsnlemvjwz.jpg

I stained the rest of the keezer and used laminate flooring as the bar top and backsplash. I was advised against laminate due to warping concerns if there was a large spill; however, If there is one, I'm sure I can get it wiped up before it is damaged. It looks pretty dusty because I had just sanded the first coat of poly.

IMG_20150613_200754_502_zpsie4ym5hx.jpg

There are a couple of places where I used some putty that didn't stain quite the same.. It's pretty unfortunate; however, I'm thinking I can fix it up a bit by using a similar color marker.

IMG_20150613_200810_099_zpslgtsnbzs.jpg

Can you give me some measurements on this?

What is the internal width, depth and height?

How far does the "hump" stick out from the side and bottom of the freezer?

Thanks!

I mostly want to know if I can fit two 6.5 gallon carboys either on the main floor or on the floor and on the hump (with a rubber stopper in the carboy on the hump.)

Sorry for the delayed reply.

These are rough measurements because I had four kegs and a CO2 tank inside, but there should be no more than 1/8" - 1/4" error.

All measurements are internal.

Length: 32"
Width: 15.5"
Depth: 26.25"
Hump Height: 8.5"
Hump Length: 8.5"

Sorry for the delayed reply.

These are rough measurements because I had four kegs and a CO2 tank inside, but there should be no more than 1/8" - 1/4" error.

All measurements are internal.

Length: 32"
Width: 15.5"
Depth: 26.25"
Hump Height: 8.5"
Hump Length: 8.5"

Awesome! Thanks for the info!

Back