Q about cherry beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makislav

Reaction score
Brewing a cherry beer with the following recipe:

About 4,5 pounds of fresh cherries
2 cans of St. Peters Ruby Red Ale LME
Around 1 lbs of dextrose to get a good fermentation
Some hop addition that came with the extract kit

I chopped the cherries and removed the stones. I boiled them for about half an hour. I mixed up all the ingredients an added water to the 23 liter mark. OG 1.054.

I tasted the worth, and I could not taste any cherry!

The next thing I would like to do, after racking it to secondary in a few weeks, is to put a bag of cherries to the brew. My concern here is sanitation. I can imagine that fresh cherries could contain all sorts of bacteria.

Any advice how to do this in a proper way, and to avoid possible infection?

When I make my cherry wheat I do not put any cherries in the primary. I make my base wheat beer recipe, then add a few pounds of frozen cherries to the secondary. The flash freezing process that is used by the commercial market typically kills any nasties. I have done this quite a few times with great results.

I usually pasteurise my fruit - heating to 70c for 10mins and add to secondary. I've only every done cane fruit and if that's anything to go by, be prepared for a hell of a lot of foaming.

I found the toughest bit was getting the balance right between the beer aromas and the fruit.

Cherry pits in secondary can add a lot of body and flavor. Don't cut/crush them and use them as you would oak.

Thanks guys for these tips!

From these options, I find Microscopist's suggestion to be the most appealing. Do possible bacteria die at 70c?

The ones that can cause you problems should be killed off, you could take it to 75-80 to be sure but run the risk of extracting pectins. Basically it kills or injures any present bacteria enough to stop them getting a foothold in the brew - easier because your yeast is already established.

I'd normally pulp my fruit a bit to help even the temperature, I imagine the cherries would sweat enough to give liquid to help even out the temperature - stir well. Or you could leave them whole and float them in a heated water without loosing much juice.

Looking at the wild cherry trees round here with interest now - not much flesh when I've used them for cooking but added to a brew is another matter..

I definitely second the motion to heating them up for a bit. What I've read is to do it between 150 and 180 F for at least 20 minutes. Any hotter and the pectin in the fruit sets and will create a haze in the beer. For a wheat beer, the haze wouldn't be bad but any styles that should be clear, it would be a problem.

Back