pyrex flask and electric stove

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nl724

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to use a pyrex flask with an electric stove? Are there any ceramic diffusers to put over the element to protect the flask? Has anyone had any luck just setting it right on the element? What about lab hot plates or hot plates from walmart?

I use my flask on an electric glass top all the time and I don't put anything between the flask and the element.

Put it on the burner and turn it up. I had an older flask crack on me by putting it directly on a hot burner. Though Bromo-silicate is heat resistant and should not crack when exposed cold to hot temp swings, they can crack especially when they get old and have been used rough.

this worked fine for me... EXCEPT it left some black scorch marks on the [outside] bottom of the flask that I cant scrub off

Is it the old coil-type electric stove? Or an infrared or induction ceramic top? I don't recommend you do this. you're better to boil in a sauce pot and just pour it in.

Is it the old coil-type electric stove? Or an infrared or induction ceramic top? I don't recommend you do this. you're better to boil in a sauce pot and just pour it in.

This- There are a lot of threads on this with experience being that they can shatter

Pyrex is borosilicate glass and it probably will not fracture under a temp diff of a few(?) hundred degrees.
Using any heating element that gets VERY hot or red-hot is asking for a fracture.
Glass does not break because it doesn't like heat(it's made from melted ingredients). It breaks because the heat is applied non-uniformly. Heat causes thermal expansion, and not all parts of the glass can expand at the same rate.
Good idea is to place a sheet of aluminum between, better is to use gentle flame(with water, not flammables).

Why risk breakage and the mess, not to mention possible injury from glass? As stated by others, it's much safer to just heat the wort in a saucepan and pour it in. It doesn't really add that much time to the whole operation.

I just boil my wort in a pot, then pour it into the sanitized flask. Even if it wasn't sanitized, the hot wort would kill anything anyway.

+1 to all the naysayers. Its easier and safer to boil in a pot and pour it into your flask. I understand the desire to play mad scientist, though ;)

I make starter wort and can it so I don't have to boil anything however I do boil water in my flask directly on the glass top to sanitize it all the time. When I done I pour the boiling water out and spray the outside of the flask with hot water and then switch over to cold to cool the flask. Pour the my canned wort into the flask and I'm done. Never had an issues and I've been doing it for a few years.

I actually bought a hot/stir plate and it boils the wort great. I like it because no matter what type of stove I have in the future, I can just use the hot/stir plate.

JoeyChopps said:
I make starter wort and can it so I don't have to boil anything however I do boil water in my flask directly on the glass top to sanitize it all the time. When I done I pour the boiling water out and spray the outside of the flask with hot water and then switch over to cold to cool the flask. Pour the my canned wort into the flask and I'm done. Never had an issues and I've been doing it for a few years.

JoeyChopps you crazy!
I like it
Brew on

"Alas poor chilton82. He started strong of will and full of merit. Yet by the task of 7 posts, he could not but utter a single letter before succumbing to the paralysis of newbieism. We shall include him in or prayers such that he may find his way yet."
I have sent a message to the GodSquad on his behalf, held short of the Trampoline request, gotta ease into it..

BeerGrylls said:
"Alas poor chilton82. He started strong of will and full of merit. Yet by the task of 7 posts, he could not but utter a single letter before succumbing to the paralysis of newbieism. We shall include him in or prayers such that he may find his way yet."

I had written an eloquent and beautiful response and posted, then…changed my mind. Once posted I newbed out and couldn't figure out how to delete the post on my mobile, only edit it. So that's…the rest of the story.

I had written an eloquent and beautiful response and posted, then…changed my mind. Once posted I newbed out and couldn't figure out how to delete the post on my mobile, only edit it. So that's…the rest of the story.

I miss that program...

Back