Pylomel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadini

Reaction score
It’s time to clean out the freezer again and after much discussion, we decided to make a triple berry pyment. Here’s my recipe-feel free to comment.
25 lbs. Cab Sauv grapes
5 lbs. Syrah grapes
4.5 lbs Blueberries
3lbs. Strawberries
2 lbs. Blackberries
3 bananas
1.3 gallons water
6 g FT Rouge
12 g oak chips-primary
3T pectic enzyme
7 lbs local honey
SG 1.110
Note: The grapes were previously fermented. The Syrah got RC212 and the Cab Sauv got BM 4x4 and finished with EC 1118. I figured the 1118 would take over pretty quick so I pulled out a cup of must and pitched some BM 4x4 to make a starter. I Camden’d the must and 24 hours later chucked in the starter to try to get some complexity to the finished product. I plan to use Fermaid O according to TONSA 2.0 protocol. I turned the a/c down to 68*, have a fan blowing on my fermenter and several 20 oz. bottles of ice to throw in the must to keep it cool. Unfortunately I broke my ph meter so I don’t have that measurement😞 The new one doesn’t arrive till Friday. I plan to oak this with American med toast once I get it into bulk aging. I posted this recipe in another forum but changed the ingredients up a bit since then.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 17
It’s time to clean out the freezer again and after much discussion, we decided to make a triple berry pyment. Here’s my recipe-feel free to comment.
25 lbs. Cab Sauv grapes
5 lbs. Syrah grapes
4.5 lbs Blueberries
3lbs. Strawberries
2 lbs. Blackberries
3 bananas
1.3 gallons water
6 g FT Rouge
12 g oak chips-primary
3T pectic enzyme
7 lbs local honey
SG 1.110
Note: The grapes were previously fermented. The Syrah got RC212 and the Cab Sauv got BM 4x4 and finished with EC 1118. I figured the 1118 would take over pretty quick so I pulled out a cup of must and pitched some BM 4x4 to make a starter. I Camden’d the must and 24 hours later chucked in the starter to try to get some complexity to the finished product. I plan to use Fermaid O according to TONSA 2.0 protocol. I turned the a/c down to 68*, have a fan blowing on my fermenter and several 20 oz. bottles of ice to throw in the must to keep it cool. Unfortunately I broke my ph meter so I don’t have that measurement😞 The new one doesn’t arrive till Friday. I plan to oak this with American med toast once I get it into bulk aging. I posted this recipe in another forum but changed the ingredients up a bit since then.
This sounds very intriguing 🤔🤔🤨

The gravity hit 1.002 Saturday morning, so I racked the free run and pressed the skins. Last night I racked it off the gross Lees. I finished with 2.3 gallons of young mead. I was hoping for 3, but that’s how it goes. First impressions? Absolute Tannin bomb! I mean chewing on chalk kinda dry. Hopefully that will smooth out over time. I didn’t sulfite after racking because I’m curious if it’ll go through MLF or not.
I have access to several tons of skins this fall so I believe the next time I try it this way I will keep the free run and the pressed mead separate until I can taste each. Here’s a pic of my young “pylomel”.

Attachments

• 9E2D74E0-FF6F-4B94-9F0B-F799C427D6BD.jpeg
    9E2D74E0-FF6F-4B94-9F0B-F799C427D6BD.jpeg
    992.4 KB · Views: 10
Well I tasted the overflow bottle in the fridge and I have to say that I’m very impressed with this, as young as it is. I really think keeping the fermentation below 72 degrees made all the difference. It also seems to be going through MLF. Sorry for the pic quality.

Attachments

• 05666A26-9F46-48D9-8AB4-C87229420275.jpeg
    05666A26-9F46-48D9-8AB4-C87229420275.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Back