PWM for stir plate. Will this one work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justdrumin

Reaction score
i looked into using a pwm instead of the normal pot and a pre done pwm is not very expensive and is pretty much plug and play. Will this one work? I found it in the cheap and easy thread and posted in there, but got no response.

PWM I found on Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
i looked into using a pwm instead of the normal pot and a pre done pwm is not very expensive and is pretty much plug and play. Will this one work? I found it in the cheap and easy thread and posted in there, but got no response.

PWM I found on Amazon.
I've used three of these, and while all three worked, two of them screamed like banshees - high pitched whine the whole time. I have no idea why the one did not. But as far as speed control, I found them WAY better than a pot for being able to gradually ramp up the rpms.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used three of these, and while all three worked, two of them screamed like banshees - high pitched whine the whole time. I have no idea why the one did not. But as far as speed control, I found them WAY better than a pot for being able to gradually ramp up the rpms.

Sounds like it's exactly what I was lookin for. The noise isn't an issue. I normally make my starters in my ferm chamber that's in my storage closet outside anyways. Awesome! It seems like it's easy to wire up too. I just might have to order one today. They aren't that much more than buying a pot and knob either.

This is exactly what I'm looking for. Can't wait to see how if goes. I'm looking for the "perfect" solution for a PWM so I can do some 3D printing around a fan.

This is exactly what I'm looking for. Can't wait to see how if goes. I'm looking for the "perfect" solution for a PWM so I can do some 3D printing around a fan.

I ordered one a few days ago. I hope it'll be here soon so I can get it all wired up. :ban:

It came in today and man was this thing easy to wire up. Works B-E-A-utifuly. I would recommend it to anyone.

Edit: $10 for the PWM, 25 cents for a washer, and scrap computer parts from tower I found by the dumpster. Not too shabby.

image.jpg

Looks great. I dig the fan housing and the plexi on top. I've got one on order now and will post pics in a few weeks.

Yeah. The housing was in the computer. The fan was already mounted to it with a switch and everything. I took everything out, wired the pwm to the switch and the fan to the pwm and presto! Worlds easiest stir plate. Lol.

Back