Purging headspace with SodaStream

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcleanmj

Reaction score
I'm brewing a NEIPA for the first time and planning to bottle it. I've done a lot of research before attempting this beer. I am taking all possible efforts to eliminate oxygen exposure. I realized I could go as far as purging the headspace of the fermenter with CO2 while dry hopping by using my SodaStream machine. I sanitized a piece of 1/4" ID vinyl tube and connected it to the SodaStream nozzle. After I put in my hop bag, I closed the bucket lid 90%, inserted the end of the vinyl tube and pressed the SodaStream button until I could see CO2 gas coming back out of the bucket. Worked like a charm.

Attachments

• 20200826_091643.jpg
    20200826_091643.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 95
I don't know about a soda stream way to purge oxygen. I purchased a Brewers Edge Wine Saver CO2 Injector from Williams Brewing. It uses a 16 gm. CO2 cartridge that screws into a valve with an on-off knob and a 4" nozzle. I've used it several times to purge my fermenter. It's works like a charm and one cartridge will do the job.

Back