According to Mr Malty, a beer of this OG requires 1.8 packets of dry yeast for proper pitching rate, so I just use the full two.brianbrau said:Gonna brew this today and im going over the posts again and noticed for yeast receipe calls for 2 packages of us-05. Is this over kill? Because I've used the 05 in a ag Og 1.075 and had fg of 1.007-1.010. Has any one used only 1 package of yeast?
That would just mean there are more fermentable sugars in the wort, but that's a different story altogether.brianbrau said:Never though of it like that. I just thought it either had enough to get the gravity low enough so its not too sweet or it did not. How would you explain the double ipa I had at og of 1.073 getting down to 1.010 on fg? Im confused :0
Probably what I should have done, as I didnt brew till late in the afternoon. Mine is sitting in bottles right now, and I'm gonna leave them there till the day before thanksgiving to see if maybe the bottles will help mellow out the flavors and make it a LOT less sour. If not, them I am gonna re-do this one and NOT pitch ontop of an extra can of Libby's.Cool. Today was a disaster I left out the rice hulls an ended up with a stuck sparge 2min in. The wort smelled great though and had an awesome orange color to it! Rather than vesting more time into it and ending up with sour beer in an account of it dropping temp and taking who knows how long I pitched it!! I will start this from scratch and do it right tomorrow it is already late in the evening
A ss braid. I pitched the 2 us05's cause I had them lying around. I did notice action in the airlock after only 3 hrs!!! It could of been less time that's just when I checked it.millaj92 said:My first two batches of this I only used one packet of US-05 and both times I had less than 12 hours lag time, no stuck fermentations, and no off flavors from underpitching. I'll be making my third batch this weekend and adding some oats at Reno_eNVy's suggestion just to see if it'll thicken it up a little with the mouth feel. I know I will since I say something but I've never had a problem with a stuck sparge, even on this beer. Just out of curiosity, what kind of design do you have on your lauder tun, brian brau?
Airlock activity is not an indication of fermentation... you'll hear that a lot on HBT.It has a copper tube inside the braid w drilled holes... my air lock has slowed down drastically at only day 2! Feeling like I should pf pitched only 1 package of yeast. Might need to check gravity in a day or 2 and stir and areate more
There are many options but the goal is to draw from across the entire bottom, not just from one point. You could build a manifold like most people use with rectangular coolers out of copper pipe and cut slits in it or you could use a pre-fab round perforated false bottom with a pickup tube. Either way, you need to increase the "size" of your output "filter."Are u saying pre fab a false bottom w p/u tube?
I used a stainless braid with rice hulls on this recipe and had no problems at all. Of course I think I used closer to 2lbs.millaj92 said:Is the ss braid just the standard mesh tube? If so, I think your setup is probably what's causing your stuck sparge. Nothing wrong with the cooler, but you might want to build a manifold instead, to increase your "false bottom" surface area to mash volume ratio. The higher the better.
I had this in bottles for two weeks and tested one this past Saturday. I tasted the same slight sour notes, almost like a cider. I let this beer sit in primary for 4 weeks before bottling and then another two weeks in bottles. I'm going to give it more time and hope that it disappears. If it doesn't this is going to be my first batch that hate.KCBigDog said:I just tapped my keg of this that had been naturally carbing in the keg for 6 weeks. The beer tastes sour and is under carbed. This is the first beer I've made that didn't turn out excellent, so I'm trying to figure out what could cause the carbination issue.
The sour taste could be the spices, and it isn't sour enough to be brett or something like that.