Punch a hole in my Sanyo 4912.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modenacart

Reaction score
I punch a hole in my sanyo 4912 lines in the top of the refridgerator where the line was not suppose to be. Well, I know where the hole is, how are you suppose to plug refridgerent lines and can it be refilled?

The short answer and probably the one you don't want to hear is that it will probably cost you more to get it fixed than it would cost to buy a new one. And the lines are run by hand so they can be anywhere in the sanyo, you need to do the cornstarch vodka trick to find where they are.

Doing the repairs yourself is probably not something you can do, I always say that people who have to ask how hard it is to do things like this probably don't have the skills or tools required to attempt it themselves.

Donasay said:
The short answer and probably the one you don't want to hear is that it will probably cost you more to get it fixed than it would cost to buy a new one. And the lines are run by hand so they can be anywhere in the sanyo, you need to do the cornstarch vodka trick to find where they are.

Doing the repairs yourself is probably not something you can do, I always say that people who have to ask how hard it is to do things like this probably don't have the skills or tools required to attempt it themselves.

What's the cornstarch-vodka trick?

Take off the top, mix cornstarch and vodka in equal amounts, plug the fridge in and paint the cornstarch and vodka on the top of the fridge. The condenser line will be hot under the metal and cause the cornstarch and vodka to evaporate faster over the line than the rest of the fridge, it gives you a good idea of where the condenser line is within a couple inches.

Ok, this doesn't make sense. I dug out the holes that I thought punch the line, but there are no lines there. I dug the insulation out right up to the outer shell. Back to checking to make sure its getting cold enough. Maybe I just paniced. How long should it take to get cold? 15 mintues or so?

Maybe a stupid question but how long will it take for all the freon to run out if there is a leak? Its alreay down to 40F so I think its ok.

I don't know if it's even possible to charge the freon lines in mini-fridges. My guess is that you probably will need a new fridge:(

modenacart said:
Maybe a stupid question but how long will it take for all the freon to run out if there is a leak? Its alreay down to 40F so I think its ok.
If you cut the line drilling the top of the fridge, chances are you would have completely severed it, in which case it would dump all the coolant immediately and not work at all.

If your fridge is cooling to 40F I think you are all set.

I've got to say, this is the first time I've seen anyone ASSUME they hit a coolant line without any evidence that they actually did ;)

Well, I was working with it about six months ago, installed a manifold by screwing it in the top and it wasn't getting down to the right temperature right after I did that. I think I paniced and though I must have hit a line. Wife wanted me to do something with it so I dug out the screw holes that I thought hit the line when I mounted my co2 distribution manifold and found there were no lines there, so I plugged it up and its been running like a champ all day today so its good. Now I won't have to walk out to the garage to use my other kegarator.

Latest posts

Back