Pumpkin wine question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tsuyako

Reaction score
I have a recipe for a pumpkin wine but was wondering why it asks for raw, grated pumpkin. In beer making you would use cooked and/or caramelized pumpkin. What would be the benefit of using raw for the wine? Could I use caramelized pumpkin?

I am curious as well, but I am going to juice my pumpkins and since all wine uses raw fruits it makes sense to me. I have an omega 8006 so it acts similar to an apple press. I am planning to start my pumpkin wine on Sunday, so I will be interested to hear the responses.

I've done some research since I asked this question and basically you use raw because cooking it destroys the starches that the yeast need to feed on. I'd advise against just using the juice.

I've done some research since I asked this question and basically you use raw because cooking it destroys the starches that the yeast need to feed on. I'd advise against just using the juice.

And I am asking this question out of ignorance not because I think I know the answer- How does wine yeast convert starch to simple sugar? Won't you need some kind of amylase enzyme. Are there enough simple sugars in the squash for the yeast to convert to alcohol or is the pumpkin more or less there for flavor and not sugar. (I have made wines from rice and from wheat - the idea being to use the flavors and not convert the carbohydrates into simpler sugars - saki or beer)

And I am asking this question out of ignorance not because I think I know the answer- How does wine yeast convert starch to simple sugar? Won't you need some kind of amylase enzyme. Are there enough simple sugars in the squash for the yeast to convert to alcohol or is the pumpkin more or less there for flavor and not sugar. (I have made wines from rice and from wheat - the idea being to use the flavors and not convert the carbohydrates into simpler sugars - saki or beer)

To be honest, I don't really know I'm still doing research on this topic. I'm going to assume it's similar to how bread yeast eat the sugars and starches from wheat when making bread.

I won't have an issue with the juiced pumpkin. I have used it with wonderful success so far. Sugar is added and a peptic enzymel. I am going to have to add some acid as well, pumpkin is a low acid fruit.

All my plans are layer out for Sunday morning.

I started a pumpkin wine a week ago (couldn't bear to throw out all that Halloween pumpkin) and just racked into secondary. It looks and smells ok (very strong taste) but boy does it look bad. It is currently dark brown and looks extremely off putting, does the colour lighten? I just used pumpkin and raisins (along with additives) so not exactly sure why it's so dark?

Back